3

Illarion Ivanov

I sat at the table with the council of elders, my parents and brother and a young Alpha with his Beta. We had been here for three full days now, waiting on the return of the heir. My father had a very rare high opinion of her, and wished for me to mate with the heir to the Pinnacle Peak pack.

Whenever I asked Sergei of his opinion, as he had met her as well, my brother would become bloody red and storm off, making excuses. The council was strangely quiet on the subject of the now missing female, keeping to themselves as they became nervous wrecks within the walls of the old Alpha home. The young Alpha who had shown up a day after we did with his own proposal that he had drawn up for the council, an action that seemed to unsettle them even more.

"As we have discussed many times over, My Lord," an Elder spoke. "The female Heir refuses all proposals and has explicitly given us..."

"I never thought I'd see the day where our elders are afraid of a little female. What did she do, threaten to cry?"

"That little female, however possible, has an equal power, if not more, to a royal." one of the elder males, Raven, growled out as he slapped a palm to the table surface, making my mother and Janice, the only elder female in attendance, jump at the sound. The old oak table continued to stand, thankfully.

My father burst out laughing, slapping his knee as his head fell back. The sound resonated through me and I couldn't help my own chuckle. My brother was still quiet and my mother seemed contemplative.

"The female we met was somewhat mouthy, but there was nothing significant about her." my mother said. "Just the strength any alpha female has."

"She does give that impression, yes." Colin spoke now. He was the youngest of the elders. His English accent always stood out from the council members who were mostly Russian and American. "She fooled us just as she has fooled you. She fools everyone into a false bravado... But to make three Alphas and four elders quake in fear and submission within a matter of seconds... Can you do that, Your Majesty?"

Father now sat and blankly stared at the elders as they most probably relayed their experience through a mind link towards him. Father's eyes were blank as he relived their memories. I could smell a very faint scent of fear coming from him, but his curiosity seemed to win out as per usual. Curiosity will be the death of Vladimir Ivanov.

"She's perfect!" he exclaimed joyously. "Just the right female to lead our Kingdom gloriously."

"You will have to get the girl to agree first."

I looked across the table to see the young Beta profusely trying to communicate with his Alpha. The Alpha seemed to not even notice the push at his mind. Desire floated around him as if he was seeing a female he wanted right before his eyes.

Food, prepared by the chef my father had brought with, was placed before us. I dug in, trying to forget the somewhat apologetic looks that the council gave him and the young Alpha every few minutes. The stress of the missing female was seeming to wear on them.

By law, should the heir leave after seeing the council about the take-over of a pack, they had one month to return before their claim became nil on paper.

Though I felt no inclination towards this pack or its heir, my father insisted that I mate the heir. It was almost an obsession, one would think, in the way he religiously tried to get his eldest son to mate a stranger. Father was for once very adament about a female. It did peak my interest somewhat, but I was far from mating any female, ever.

The Alpha male sitting with us seemed eager to see the female again. Yet his Beta seemed somewhat irritated with his Alpha for some reason. This was strange. Betas were completely loyal. Never judging and always caring, yet they did question. This Beta seemed ready to rip into his Alpha.