13

Dedicated to _yaoi_001_, for giving me hope that Alpha Featherstone is not a lost cause.

__________________________________

The wolf in my mate had shown herself for an instant. That instant was more than enough to convince me of four things.

Number one, her wolf was super powerful, enough so to set six of seven Alphas running.

Number two, she was utterly and completely deadly.

Number three, even with her wolf out, she paid me and our bond no mind.

Number four, getting her to mate me seemed less and less likely.

She kicked the knocked out Alpha at the young male.

"Get this fucker off my lands before I rip him to shreds." her voice strained, rasping. She gave a cough and scratched at her neck. The Alpha male was removed almost instantly.

She turned to the same young male she had spoken through earlier. He nodded after a moment before he and some more males stepped up to the porch, each grabbing a platter of the meat she had been busy with. As they passed by her, I watched as she snagged a smaller piece of the raw meat and tore a shred off with her fingers.

Blood dripped down her chin as she chewed the shred she'd tore off. I watched, my own wolf strangely pushing forward. He pushed me back and approached her, keeping his eyes at her lips. Seeming to sense my presence, she gave me a quick once-over before returning to the table where half a deer still lay, waiting to be butchered. She picked up a large cleaver and struck at the meat.

My wolf continued to watch her face. This was weird. I would have thought he'd be shredding her clothes with our eyes.

'Does she look to be a female that would accept that kind of look in her direction? '

I sighed. For once we agreed on something since seeing her taken before our eyes.

"You seem quite capable, Alpha Featherstone." My wolf said earnestly. She eyed us, her eyes calculating my every movement and word. She seemed to have made up her mind about something as she gave a faint, yet proud, smile.

"You like hunting, I presume."

She gave a slight nod as she popped another shred of raw meat in her mouth. She continued working on the meat then. She gave no indication that she was interested, yet we also perceived no irritation from her. As calm as a fish in the water, she worked the meat as if she'd done it all her life.

"Is there a reason you don't talk?"

She shrugged and glanced at me. "Tiresome..." She mumbled. The scratching rasp in her voice caused my wolf to perk slightly. I knew what damaged vocal chords sounded like.

"Well, you seem to find men tiresome as well."

Her eyes mixed with molten gold for a moment. Her wolf had shown herself for a second before retracting. She huffed a short laugh and moved the cleaved meat to a platter.

"Some." She said softly, her eyes clouding with what seemed to be a memory.

"Am I categorised as 'some'?" my wolf asked, eager for the answer.

She gave us another once-over before shrugging again. She held her pointer finger and thumb on her left hand close together, closing one eye and looking through the gap. I chuckled at her.

"A little?"

She just gave me the same smirk, her attention on the meat again. She finished another stack and placed it on another platter.