mokita

mokita
(n.)
the truth that everyone knows but agrees not to talk about

•••

"I wondered if I could save him. He told me it was impossible. And he was right. Steve couldn't the first time he was lost. I couldn't save him from the Red Room, even though he saved me. And even today in recovery, he is. truly lost soul. There is no saving him."

•••

Natalia was taken back to her bed where the remaining seven girls slept. Her wrist was once again bound to the headbord.

But that wasn't the reason Natalia was in agony. She was left in that bed to die. She could feel blood seeping from her wounds and onto the the bed. The touch of the fabric from her gorges and the bed on her wounds stung. She wasn't going to make it throught the night. Not like this.

With her left hand, she searched through her hair for a pin that nay have been left over for the trip in hopping that she could use it for her escape to go find a way to quickly nurse herself back to health. Much to her relief, she found one—however, from the blows, it had been lodged into her scalp. But obviously, Natalia was no stranger to pain. Gently, she disloged the bobby pin from her head and bent it to her liking with her teeth and picked her way out of the lock.

Making no noise, she made her way out of the sleeping room, snaking down the hallways in search of the room she had just been removed from, knowing that its neighbooring rooms held all sorts of medical supplies.

There was no way Natalia was going to let Madame B have the satisfaction of her death. She made her way to the main room, knowing she could find her way from there by using the memory of the men dragging her back to the room.

Everything was silent in the training room. There was no movement. But Natalia could still feel the presence of someone else in the room. She quickly ducked to a palace that would shield anyone from seeing her she looked around dark, ghostly room until she saw James.

He was pacing. His thoughts too obviously frantic. Natalia then stepped out into view and approached the thoughtful soldier.

<James,> she whispered, her voice unable to grow any louder. He snapped out of his thoughts and looked over to his student. When his eyes landed in her beaten body, he visibly panicked. Natalia was too pained to see how red hollow his eyes were. Vacant of sleep. Drowning in the horror of what his life has turned out to be.

"Oh my God, Natalia," he gasped, his horse, overused voice cracking from more use. He ran quickly across the room and  to help her. As she wrapped her arm around his neck to ease the pain of walking all the way to the back room, she could feel his fever. She looked up him to observe him further, and she saw the bruises around his forehead and the exhaustion and sickness in his eyes.

<James! What happened to you?> she asked, placing her hand softly on his warm face.

"No big deal," he said, his voice sounding completely broken. "We need to get you to the facility."

"That's where I was going,"  she told him, with a low patience, bothered by the fact that Madame B would cheat, just to get Natalia out of the competition. That Madame B would do whatever she did to James just because he had a quiet opinion.

But she was especially bothered over that fact that James is still keeping things from her.

They made their way through the halls and into  the a supply closet located in the same hall as the torture room and medical rooms. James left Natalia in one of the medical rooms as he gathered all the things they needed to treat Natalia's wounds in a large sack.