Chapter #20: The shield that never breaks

Aria POV

I was looking at Yoon while he was making a fire when I got an idea.

"I'll go into the woods to look for food!" I said and ran of into the woods with my bow and arrow. I could hear Hak's protests and then him and Jea-ha teasing each other. I'm glad that they get along.

Or kind of getting a long at least

After running a bit into the forest, I stopped. I started walking while whistling the hunger games song. I looked in front of me and saw a fawn. I stopped whistling and and carefully  hid behind a bush. Taking my bow and arrow, I aimed at the fawn and let go of the arrow. The arrow pierced through it's leg and it fell down while trying to run away. I took out my dagger and went up to the fawn. When i grabbed the fawn by it's back it started struggling. I cringed and looked away after I stabbed it in the chest. The fawn immediately stopped struggling and I took out a large blanket. I put the fawn on the blanket and tied up the corners of the blanket with each other, creating a bag. When I picked up the bag, I heard a stick break. I froze.

Someone is here

"Miss!" I heard a familiar voice say. A blonde haired boy with green eyes came up from behind a tree. I calmed down and smiled at the boy.

"Zeno!" I said and he walked up to me with a wide smile. He looked at my bag, still smiling.

"Is miss about to eat?" He asked and looked up at me.

"Yes, this is a fawn I just shot" I said and looked away. I wasn't ashamed by any means, I just didn't want it to sound like I was proud after killing a small animal.

If that makes any sense.

Suddenly, I heard grumbling. I looked at Zeno and saw him drooling while looking at the fawn. I giggled and he looked at me.

"Would you like to eat with me and my friends, Zeno?" I asked him and he didn't hesitate for a moment before nodding.

We walked back to everybody else side by side. After a bit of walking, I saw a tent and a small fire. Since Yoon was sitting in front of the fire, i recognized the camp as ours. I picked up a random stick and threw it in the fire to get Yoon's attention. He turned around and saw me and Zeno.

"Who is that?" Yoon asked, making everybody else turn to us.

"This is Zeno, I invited him to eat with us" I explained and placed the fawn next to Yoon. He opened up the blanket-bag and looked kind of impressed before he started cutting up the fawn. I sat down in front of Hak and took of my shoe. Hak looked at me oddly.

"What are you doing?" He asked me while I started removing the bandage around my broken ankle.

"I need to see if my ankle is healed completely or not" I told him and started moving my foot in small circles. It still hurts a bit so I put the bandage back on my foot and put on my shoe. Hak looked at me and sighed.

"I guess not" He said and looked around. He stopped looking around when his gaze landed on Kija, Shin-ah and Jea-ha. They were talking in a circle a bit further away. Occasionally they would look at Zeno, who was playing with Ao.

"Kija, Shin-ah, Jea-ha! Why are you standing over there? Come over here and chat with us instead!" I shouted at them so that they could hear. They all turned around and looked at me, and then at Zeno. After that, they turned back to each other and started talking again. I pouted and walked up to them.

"If you don't like Zeno, then please just say so" I told them and they turned to me.

"Eh? No no no! It's not that we don't like Zeno, it's just..." Kija said and looked at me, then at Zeno.

"Aria dear, we think he is the Ouruyuu" Jea-ha explained and looked at Zeno. I gave them a look of surprise and then looked at Zeno. Zeno looked up at us with a smile.

"Did someone just say Zeno's name?" He said.

"You're the Ouruyuu!?" I asked, obviously excited. He nodded happily and stood up.

"Um, so the thing is, I'm looking for the four dragons in order to borrow their powers and I wonder if you could—" I started, but I was cut off by Zeno.

"Sure" He said and held Ao in his hands. Everyone was silent until I spoke.

"That's really nice of you! Thank you Zeno!" I said and and hugged him. He happily hugged me back and smiled even brighter.

"How come I didn't get a hug when I said yes to following you, Aria dear?" Jea-ha asked and smiled teasingly at me. I broke free from the hug and just stared at Jea-ha for a while. After some thinking, I went up to him and hugged him.

"Thank you for saying yes to joining our group, Jea-ha" I said and smiled. He didn't hesitate before he hugged me back. I could feel his hands slowly creeping down towards my lower back. But before he does something unnecessary and Hak goes flat out ape shit, I break free from his hug. I hug Shin-ah, who doesn't look very bothered and then Kija, who turned into a blushing mess. Hak and Jea-ha started teasing Kija while we all laughed. I noticed that instead of laughing, Zeno just looked at us with a smile. But every time I looked at him, he started laughing.

I smile as I go to break up Hak, Jea-ha and Kija before a fight breaks out.

Boys... I thought and sighed mentally.

~Timeskip~

I stare up at the dark blue sky that is now covered in small stars. I take a deep breath while I walk towards the camp with the firewood that I found.

You never get to see a sky like this at home

"Miss!" I hear someone call out to me. I recognize the voice as Zeno and turn around to greet him. I saw him standing on a tree branch while waving at me. I waved back at him, but because I removed my hand from the firewood that I was holding, all of it fell down to the ground. I facepalmed and kneeled down to pick them up again.

"Hold on Miss, Zeno will help you" I looked up while holding a few pieces of firewood. Zeno jumped from the branch and landed in front of me.

-head first.

"Zeno! Are you okay?!" I ask him but he just lifts his head up and smiles. He sees that I'm picking up sticks and gets up.

"Zeno will help you with that!" He said enthusiastically and walked up to me. When we were done, he took half of the firewood and walked beside me.

"Woah! This is really heavy! How can miss carry all of this with such ease?!" He asked me, dumbfounded. I chuckled.

"Kija can carry all of it with one hand" I told him and he looked even more surprised.

"He can do what now? Zeno can't compete with that" He said and both of us laughed. After that, we just walked in silence. It was a very comfortable silence.

———————————————————————

What a short chapter :p

Anyway, I'm really satisfied with the ending. It was really nice :D

How did you like the chapter? Please tell me :)

Thank you as always for reading! Bye 👋

The end is near....

Next chapter: Chapter #21: A new beginning