Chapter 39: What Happens Next?

"Never gonna give you up/ Never gonna let you down" ~ Rick Astley, Never Gonna Give You Up, Whenever You Need Somebody

* * *

One week has passed sine Hunter revealed a huge secret to the world.  One week has passed since I found out I was sold to a serial killer for money.  One week has passed since I found out my own mother sold me for money to pay off her drug debts and fuel her addiction.  One week since I found out she did it willingly and wasn't forced into doing it.  It's been one week sine my life was twisted around.  One week. . .

And a lot can happen in one week.

Hunter's trial has officially ended.  He was sentenced to twenty-two years in jail instead of fifty-five due to the plea deal and agreeing to contact the people who gave him the information and participate in that trial.  It was originally going to be fifty-five, from what I understand, with five years for each of us.  I wasn't really there for the rest of the trial and instead stayed at the hotel to avoid the press, but I went on the last day.  Both of us felt numb, I think, but for different reasons.  Our brains aren't in the right place, the doctors said.  I'm hoping that he'll be able to get treatment while he's in jail so that he can come out better.

The press has become increasingly more annoying.  I can no longer go anywhere without being followed and asked for an interview, but so is Jessica.  We're just hoping that they don't bother Millie and Josh because they don't understand what's happening.  They don't know that our mom knew a serial killer and that she sold me to him.  They don't know that she did it to avoid our family being killed by drug dealers.  All they know is that mom's going to be in jail for a long time and won't be coming back to them.  But of course the media is making a big deal out of this, but I just really wish that they would leave us alone.

My mother's trial has been scheduled, but none of us will be going to it.  The police wanted a testimony from me, so we recorded it ahead of time.  Something my mother doesn't know is that she is no longer our legal guardian and that she will never see us again.  She still thinks that she is and is trying to give us "orders" and chores to do around the house for when she comes back.  She still claims that she was framed even though there is a ton of evidence against her including a recorded phone call and paper documentation.  We'll all be fine without her though since Jessica has become the legal guardian of us three.

I went to my first therapy session yesterday.  It went well I guess with all things considered.  I really didn't want to go and tell somebody about my problems, but after we went to a second doctor, they recommended someone saying that it would only get worse for me if I didn't at least try.  The person I went to though was nicer than I expected and knew it would be hard for me to open up to her.  To make me feel better she actually opened up about what she went through and how it inspired her to become a therapist and help other people with similar problems.  She didn't have to do that for me, but she did.

"Miss Imogen," the guard said, "we can now take you to visit the prisoner."  I walk over to him and then he guides me through their halls and to the visitors' room.  As we walk in, I can see other people visiting prisoners and Hunter all the way in the back by himself.  "When you're ready to leave just come back here, and a guard will escort you back to the entrance."

I nod my head in thanks to him and move my way towards the back, and Hunter's head lifts up in surprise.  My feet stop moving, and my heart begins to pound.  I can't help but still feel some complicated emotions for him, but I hope with time they will get sorted out.

"Why are you here?" he croaks out bringing his hands up to his eyes.

"I came to see you," I tell him sitting down at the table across from him.

"But why?  You don't owe anything to me.  The court already annulled our marriage," he says running a hand through his hair and then finally looking at me.

"I came to give you this back." I pull the ring out of my pocket and place it on the table in front of him.  He picks it up in his hands and looks at it before going to put in his pocket and then places in back into my hand.

"Keep it.  I won't ever end up needing it."

"Are you sure?" I ask looking back up at him.

"Yeah it's cool.  You can give it to Kye so that he can give it back to you later," he responds giving me a small smile and rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

"I-I don't k-know what y-y-you're talking about," I stammer out feeling a flush creep up my neck and onto my face.

"Don't play dumb," he says, "I could tell from the way he looks at you that he's practically in love with you, and I know you have feelings for him too.  Even though I love you, I want you to be happy, and I think you'll be happy with him."  He says these words to me, and I begin to cry.  I haven't had anyone besides Jess whose ever wished me such happiness in my life.  This coming from someone whose family has wrecked my life yet wishes for my happiness. .  that thought is overwhelming.  "You should go talk to him."

"You deserve happiness too you know; I hope you'll one day find it," I whisper to him giving him a bear hug before leaving.  I give him one last look and wave before leaving.

* * *

"Oh Imogen, what a nice surprise!  I haven't seen you in ages!" Rosalina exclaims enveloping me in a hug and pulling me into her house.  "How are you?"

"I'm doing good," I tell her, and it's the truth.  "Is Kye home right now?"

"Yes dear, he's in the backyard with Evangeline.  He's actually been meaning to talk to you," she says pulling open the sliding door leading outside.  She shuts it after I walk out, and I watch Kye and Evangeline play for a few minutes until he sees me.

"Hey," I say to him giving him a small wave.  He runs over to me and hugs me.

"I've missed you," he whispers into my ear.

"I've missed you too," I say and then step away from him.  "Where's Emery?"

"She um went back home where she lives.  She decided once again that she doesn't want to take care of Evangeline," he says looking down at his feet.  "I'm not surprised honestly."

"That sucks," I say, "Does Evangeline know?"

"Oh um no.  But she's been asking for Mommy, which is you," he says blushing a bit.  Neither of us say anything for a minute.

"So uh Hunter wanted me to give this to you," I say opening his hand palm up and placing the ring there.  "He says you'll know when to use it to become happier."  Kye looks down at his hand and pockets the ring.

"Imogen, you know I care about you right?"

"Of course," I say looking not at him but Evangeline.

"A lot has happened since we first met, but I feel like it intensified my feelings for you," he says shuffling his feet.  "I want us to try and have an actual relationship; if you want to of course."

"I'd like that."  I take hold of his hand and lean into him.  And then I get up on my tipey-toes and kiss him.

* * *