Gone Too Long

Sam x Reader

Written in Sam's POV

"Dean, I can't believe that hunt took two freaking weeks," I muttered as the Bunker finally came into view. "I thought we would never make it back home."

"You don't really care about coming home. You just wanted to see Y/N again," Dean teased me, but I could tell he was just as relieved to be finished with the hunt and back on our way home. Home, something I never really thought I would have in this lifetime, but the thought of it was comforting.

"Yeah, I can't wait to see her beautiful face once again," I smiled as the thought of her jumping into my arms crossed my mind. "And truth be told, I'm a little worried."

"Why?" Dean asked as he turned the Impala down the long hidden driveway.

"I texted her last night, letting her know we were finally done with that stupid hunt. That we were on our way home. But she never replied," I told Dean my concern as the lights of the garage filtered through the long tunnel, marking the fact that we were finally home.

"Maybe her phone is dead?" He suggested, but I could hear the concern in his voice. Y/N always has her phone with her, especially when we're on a hunt, and she wanted to make sure we were okay.

"Could be. Or she's been sleeping," I tried assuring myself. "Do you mind grabbing the bags while I go check on her? I just need to assure myself that she's okay."

"Of course," Dean answered. "And when she yells at you for waking her up...,"

"I won't tell her anything about your part in it," I assured him as I unfurled my long legs out from the front of the Impala, a tough task considering how long I had been sitting there. My bones creaking and groaning, I slowly took off, making my way to the main staircase, with the hallway entrance locked from the inside as a safety measure.

Walking down the stairs, I immediately noticed the signs of a skirmish. Chairs were toppled over, plaster from the walls had fallen to the floor, showing there had been a gun fight at some point.

My hunter skills on high alert, I pulled the gun from my waist band, scanning the area, looking for Y/N, looking for whoever had made their way into our secure bunker.

Stepping off the stairs, I carefully made my way into the library, my heart freezing at the blood splattered on the tiled floor, the light shattered, glass covering the floor. One of the bookcases had been pushed over, the priceless artifacts cracked and strewn about. Y/N's gun lay underneath the table, and I closed my eyes for a minute, trying to calm the emotions flooding my system.

I wanted to call out, to find her straight away. But I knew that would be drawing attention to myself, if anyone was still in the bunker. Quietly I pulled my phone out, sending Dean a text, letting him know things weren't quite right.

Rounding the corner of the library towards the bedrooms, my knees buckled when I saw a familiar sweatshirt laying on the ground, the once light blue now an ugly reddish purple, as the blood dried on the fabric. Trying to keep calm, I leaned down, seeing the rips and tears in the soft fabric, how some of the blood was too thick to have dried by now.

My heart beating furiously, I continued on, peaking into Dean's room, seeing that it wasn't touched at all.

Turning my attention back to the hallway, I frowned at the specks of blood on the gray tile, the bloody handprint about halfway up the wall. Another piece of clothing laid in the middle of the hallway, Y/N's favorite band shirt. It had already been tattered and worn, but seeing it there, I knew she would never be able to wear it again. Ripped in half, the words were covered in blood. "What the hell happened?" I whispered, before rushing into our shared bedroom.

My hands shook as I glanced around, surprised when the room came up empty. The dresser had been messed with, Y/N's favorite pictures now laying on the ground, the glass from the frames shattered. Blood had dripped onto the floor in here as well, dark red drops that scared me more than I wanted to admit.

I could see our connected bathroom's door was open, a bloody handprint off to the side, a pair of jeans laying in the threshold, one side completely covered in blood. "Y/N?" I called out softly, my steps heavy as I quietly made my way towards the bathroom. With each step I could hear the beating of my heart, my mouth parched as I imagined all the possibilities that awaited me in that tiny little room.

With my gaze on the floor, I couldn't help but notice the splotches of blood, red footprints that led to the bathtub. Living out my worst nightmare, my entire body shaking, I lifted my gaze, my entire heart crumbling at what awaited me.

Y/N lay in the tub, in nothing more than her bra and panties, both stained a deep red. Her beautiful skin was covered in cuts, blood decorating her skin. There looked to be a bullet wound in her shoulder, the blood crusty around it. Her hair was matted with blood, her eyes closed, her hand loosely holding a knife. Her phone lay shattered on the ground next to the tub, and I fell to my knees, immediately searching for a pulse.

Letting out a shaky breath when I found her pulse, weak, but at least there, I tried to wake her. "Y/N, sweetie, it's me. Can you wake up?" I whispered, lightly tapping her cheek, horrified at the shape she was in.

"Mmm," she groaned, her eyelids fluttering, before her e/c eyes tried to focus on me. They were glassy and dull, and I knew I needed to find her help, and fast.

"Cas, please! I need you," I prayed out loud, her hand dropping the knife to reach up towards me.

"Cas...he won't come," she mumbled, her eyes starting to close once more.

"Y/N, sweetie hold on," I insisted, freezing when footsteps were heard inside the room. "What do you mean?"

"Cas came...he tried to help..but it was too late. The kitchen," she spoke, her voice no more than a whisper.

"Sam, what the hell happened?" Dean exclaimed as he walked into the bathroom, his eyes wide when he saw Y/N, and the state she was in.

"Dean, go check the kitchen," I insisted, turning back to Y/N. Reaching blindly behind me, I came up with the first aid kit, not even sure where to start. I began cleaning off the biggest wounds, wincing at the amount of blood underneath her, hoping that I wasn't too late.

Coughing, she turned away from me, her entire body shaking. "Shh, it will be okay," I tried to assure her, but when she glanced back, her lips were tinged blue, blood spilling down her chin.

"Damn it," I muttered to myself, throwing the first aid kit down, gently picking her up in my arms. There was no way I could save her now, and my only thought was taking her to the hospital twenty minutes away.

As I came out of my bedroom, a loud guttural groan filled the empty bunker, Dean's voice full of pain. "No!" He screamed.

Moving as fast as I dared with Y/N in my arms, I came into the war room just as he did, his eyes red, his shirt bloody. "Dean?" I asked, even though I didn't want to know the answer.

"It's Cas," he whimpered. "He's gone. Angel wing marks and everything."

"Damn it," I muttered. "Y/N's fading fast, I need to get her to the hospital."

"Sam...," he spoke, running a hand through his hair, a tear slipping down his cheek. "I think it's too late."

Feeling tears slipping down my own cheek, I looked down to see Y/N limp in my arm, her glassy eyes staring up at me, seconds away from leaving me behind. "Love...," she whimpered, before her hand fell to her side, and she was gone. Gone, just like Cas. Like my mom, like Jess. Like everyone I had ever loved or called family. Sinking to my knees, I pressed her to my chest, rocking back and forth, my cries echoing off the tiled walls, my heart gone with her.

Dean squeezed my shoulder, leaning down to press a kiss to Y/N's forehead before leaving me alone with her, heading back into the kitchen to mourn for his best friend.

Tears pouring down my cheeks, I held her limp body close to mine, wishing there was something, anything I could do to bring her back to me. Wishing that the hunt had lasted so long, or that she had gone on the hunt with me. "Why?" I cried, reaching down and closing her eyes, knowing it would be the last time I would ever see her beautiful e/c eyes. Wondering how I could go on without her.