The wrath of God

It was hard to watch. Seeing your awkward Angelic friend this way. He was standing in the middle of the church, his wings raised as he slammed both Sam and Dean into the wall behind them.

"Can't you see?" He bellowed, his voice echoing through the high rafters of the church while you hid behind the last pew, waiting for your opportunity. "I'm doing this for all of us!"

Sam was the first to push his way from the wall, blood dribbling down his temple. He held his hands up in a gesture of peace while Dean struggled to sit up, blinking his eyes against the concussion he no doubt suffered. "Cas, buddy, this isn't you. What you're doing here, it's not okay. Please, let us help you. We just want to help you."

Cas roared, his eyes flashing blue as all of the stained glass shattered, sending shards of glass knicking against your skin. You wanted to cry out, but you remained silent, not wanting to give away your position. "I wanted you by my side," Cas spoke, staring down in displeasure at Sam. "You, Dean, even Y/N. With the power I have, and your knowledge we could finally right this world. Why can't you see that?"

"Cas, you're killing humans. You're too powerful, and if you won't listen, we'll find another way to stop you," Dean insisted, standing up, ignoring the wicked looking bruise already blossoming on his cheek.

You held the engraved gun tight in your hand, knowing that at any moment you might have to fire it at one of your closest friends. It held Angel killing bullets. And while none of you were sure it would kill Cas, you hoped it would at least slow him down long enough for you to capture him.

"Y/N, I know you're back there," Cas sighed. "I can see all, and I know you have darkness in your heart. I don't want to hurt you three, but the fate of this world is more important."

"Cas, you've already killed hundreds of people," Dean argued, holding an Angel blade protectively out in front of him. "This entire congregation because they didn't believe you to be the new God."

"I'm weeding out the wicked," he insisted. "Those that don't see, or won't listen will be taken from this Earth, leaving us with only the good. The worthy."

Dean charged at Cas, but with a flick of his wrist, Cas sent Dean sprawling into one of the pews. He grasped Sam by the neck, holding him high in the air, and you knew it was now or never. You had to shoot Cas, and hope for the best.

Standing up, your hands shook as you aimed the gun. Cas was too intent on squeezing the life from Sam to notice you, and you took the second to calm your nerves before pulling the trigger. The bullet landed right where you had aimed, slamming right into where Cas' heart would be. He glanced down in surprise, letting go of Sam.

Sam slumped unconscious to the ground while you shot Cas again, this time in his head. The bullet sunk in and Cas fell to his knees. "Y/N, why? I just want to do good."

"You killed my friend," you whispered, tears streaking down your cheek. "She was a good person. Went to church every Sunday, donated to charity whenever she could. She didn't have a mean bone in her body, and yet you burned her eyes out."

"She was not as worthy as you think," Cas gasped, the bullet in his head sliding out and falling to the floor, the skin as smooth as it was before. "I wouldn't have done that Y/N. I was going to spare you, but now I can see. You're just as bad as the rest."

The walls shook with the ferocity of Castiel's anger. Lightning flashed outside, rain pouring through the shattered windows. You stood there, the gun useless in your hand as Cas pushed Sam's unconscious body to the side, walking towards you. You wanted to turn and hide, but there was nowhere to go. He had the door locked, and he was powerful. He could find you with a snap of his fingers if he chose. "Cas, stop!" Dean pleaded, struggling to get up from the pew, but Cas just pushed him back down, forcing him to stay put.

Down the aisle Cas walked, pews flying out of his way as he made his way towards you. You were frozen to the ground, watching as your death moved slowly towards you when an inky black form took place behind Cas. "What is that," you asked, pointing to the left of Castiel's shoulder.

"Do you really think I'd fall for that?" He taunted, refusing to look behind him. "It's probably Sam or Dean and their pathetic attempt to stop me."

"Think again," an accented, higher-pitched voice spoke from the black blob as black veins flowed from it, heading straight for Cas. "Castiel, you've become too powerful. It's awakened me from my slumber."

"Who the hell are you?" Cas asked, finally turning around to see the black blob turn into the shape of a man. Or at least the outline of one. It was one of the weirdest things you had ever seen.

"You can call me the empty," the blackness spoke. "The place beings like you go to rest. I was called down here to bring you back. To stop you before you ruin...his plans."

Cas held his hand out, his eyes glowed blue. He radiated power, and it coursed through the church. "I am doing God's work!" Cas bellowed, throwing all of his power against the empty. You watched as it split into thousands of pieces before slamming back together, whole once again.

"You cannot kill me," it chided. "I am as old as God, as powerful as Death himself. This will only end one way."

"No!" Cas screamed, rushing forward just as Dean stood up from the ground, wobbling on unsteady feet.

You could see exactly what was going to happen, but you were powerless to stop it. Cas barreled forward, his hands glowing with all of his mighty power. He ran straight into Dean just as the empty enveloped Cas. It was a big black hole, swallowing Cas into his embrace, twisting and moving.

Cas still held hold of Dean who struggled to free himself. Sam reached forward, trying to save his brother. He grabbed a hold of his brother just as the empty started folding in on itself, sucking all three men deep inside its void.

"No!" You screamed, your feet finally moving. As fast as you could, you raced down the aisle of the church, but you were too late. The empty had folded in on itself until there was nothing left. The rain continued to pour through the shattered windows but the lighting and thunder had faded away since Cas was gone. To the Empty, whatever that was, taking both Sam and Dean with him, leaving you all on your own.

Tears streamed down your face as you sank down on your knees, staring at the shattered cross in front of you. You wanted to scream, to pray, to do anything that might bring your best friends back. But you were all alone, with no idea what to do next.