A New Kind of Road Trip

The phone call came as soon as you were settling in for the night. With Jensen's pillow close to yours, you answered the phone, closing your eyes to pretend he was right next to you. "Hey babe," you answered, trying to stifle a yawn.

"That tough of a day?" He chuckled.

You nodded before remembering he couldn't see you. "Yeah. The twins kept me busy. Thank goodness your Mom offered to babysit them tomorrow."

He cleared his throat, "Listen, about tomorrow. I was hoping you would fly up here. Then we could head home together."

You could hear the slight trepidation in his voice. It would be his last time flying home from Vancouver, from a place and a job he had loved for so many years. "Of course. Let me see if you're Mom will watch the boys for the night too, and...,"

"She will," he interrupted. "I've already talked to her. And I've bought your plane ticket. I just....I need you up here with me. Okay?"

"Of course. You know I'll do anything for you," you assured him. "And I can't wait to see you."

After talking a little more you hung up, all thoughts of sleep slipping from your mind. You had so much to do before you boarded the plane.

"You can now depart the plane, and welcome to Vancouver," the flight attendant announced sweetly. You had already reached up for your carry on bag, the only item you had brought with you. Anticipation had your steps light as you pushed past everyone else. Your steps quickened as soon as you saw Jensen. He was holding a sign with your name on it but dropped it as you came flying into his arms.

"I've missed you so freaking much," you whispered against his neck, holding on as tight as you could.

"Back at ya," he agreed, his lips brushing against yours before hugging you again.

Threading his hand with yours, he guided you out of the airport. He stopped for a moment, staring up at the sign. "Last time seeing this place. Maybe forever."

"Aren't we flying home together?" You asked. At least that's what you had expected.

"I have a surprise," he smiled wide.

A couple of hours later you were staring at the sleek black car parked proudly in Jensen's parking spot. "They gave you the Impala?"

He nodded proudly. "After all, I've begged and pleaded, they gave up I think. But yeah, Baby is officially mine."

"Wow," you breathed out, knowing how much this car meant to him. "That's just...wow."

"So you're going to have her trailered home?" You asked, but he shook his head, his smile even wider than before.

He patted her hood fondly, and for a moment you felt jealous of a car. "No. I was thinking it's been a while since you and I have gone on a road trip. Just you, me, Baby and the open road. What do you say?"

It sounded like fun. It truly did. "Will she make it all the way to Texas?" You asked. Jensen's face was full of horror as if you were insulting his grandma.

"You're doubting baby?" He seemed astonished. "After all she's been through with Sam and Dean, of course, she'll make the trip home. She's a trooper."

"I'd never doubt Baby," You assured him, patting his shoulder. "When do we head out?"

Turns out you were heading out right then and there. Jensen was ecstatic about taking the car across the country, and you weren't didn't even have a chance to settle in before you were sitting in the passenger seat of the car, Jensen packing it out of the parking lot. "What about all of your stuff?" You asked him, your overnight bag in the backseat.

"It's all packed up and the shipping company will have it delivered next week," he answered. "Everything's taken care of. Now it's just you and me and the open road."

"Don't forget the car," you said sarcastically, but it went right over his head.

"How could I?" He patted the steering wheel. "And I thought we could do much like Sam and Dean often did. Stop for fast food, maybe even use her as a hotel room."

You weren't sure about using the car as a hotel room sounded that great, but spending a couple of days with Jensen on the road sure did. Just the two of you, with the windows down. No talks about filming, no toddler boys to interrupt you. Just some alone time which you so desperately craved.

The car flew down the two-lane highway with ease, taking away some of your nervousness about this trip. Jensen had the radio on, one of Dean's cassettes playing softly. His right hand was currently holding the steering wheel, his left resting on the open window. He had the biggest smile you had ever seen. "See? Isn't this nice?" He asked.

"It really is," you agreed. Mountains and trees flashed by your open window, the air already feeling the crispness of fall. "We haven't had time for a road trip since...,"

"The boys," he finished, smiling over at you.

Time passed as fast as the miles, but you were happy. Jensen stopped occasionally for gas or snacks, but it wasn't until the sun started to set that you started to look for a hotel. "There's another town, but it's two hours away," you muttered. "It will be after midnight before we get there."

"Or we could just sleep in the car," he suggested. "We have a blanket and snacks, and I'm ready to pull over for a few hours."

You conceded, letting him find an empty dead-end road surrounded by trees. He pulled off to the side, the Impala shrouded in darkness. Jensen put your bag in the backseat, pulling out the spare blankets from the trunk. Placing one along the leather seat, he patted on it. "Here's your bed sweetheart."

You sank down on the back seat beside him, taking the offered strip of jerky. "Not bad," you admitted, watching as the sun sank below the trees, blanketing you in darkness. You snuggled against Jensen. "I could see the appeal of this."

"Yeah," he sighed. "It was one of my favorite things. Everything seemed right when Jared and I played Sam and Dean sitting in the Impala. Having one of our brotherly chats, eating whatever cheap snacks we could get. We were brothers playing brothers, and now it's over. And I...I just...,"

His voice broke off as a tear slipped down his cheek. "I'm going to miss it," he whispered. "It's so hard saying goodbye."

"But you're not," You tried assuring him, hating the pained expression he had. "Sure, there won't be any new episodes, or 12 hour days of filming. But you'll always have Dean Winchester. Right here," you said, pressing your hand to his heart. "And when you miss him a little too much, you and Jared will take this car for a ride. Just like you used to. Sure there won't be cameras, or people yelling cut, but it will still be the two of you. As brothers. Just like it always will be."

He hastily wiped away the tear, pulling you tighter against him, pressing a kiss to your forehead. "Yeah, you're right. It's just something that's going to take some getting used to," he sighed.

"I know how I can take your mind off of it," you slid your leg over his, sitting on his lap and taking his face between your hands. "You can even pretend to be Dean if you'd like."