Finding Comfort

Cas x Reader

It was so hard seeing him like this. The once strong and fearless Angel was curled up on your couch, wrapped in a blanket. His shoulders were slumped as he watched wheel of fortune on the TV.

He had been staying at your house for the past four days. You didn't mind, not really. You liked Cas and enjoyed the time spent with him. But your heart ached for him, for the fact that he was now human, and had no idea how to handle it.

You did the best you could. Bringing him food, but he barely touched it. You offered different drinks, coffee, tea, even a beer. He barely glanced at it before turning back to whatever was on the TV.

"Cas, buddy, you've gotta eat," you insisted, handing him a grilled cheese sandwich, plopping down on the seat beside him. "You're not an Angel anymore. Humans need to eat."

He sighed, his blue eyes disheartened as he picked up the crispy sandwich, nibbling on the corner before his eyes widened. "What is this?" He asked, taking a bigger bite.

"Grilled cheese. One of the best comfort foods there is," You answered, relieved to finally see him eating. "Do you want to talk?"

So far he had been fairly quiet about everything. You knew there was a civil war going up in Heaven, and that he had fallen because of it. But that was all you knew.

"I was up there, trying to regain order in Heaven," Cas started slowly, his mouth full of bread and cheese. "It was hard. I'm not the most trusted Angel, and many were joining the other side. I needed to stop them, convince them that it was a bad idea before it became too much."

"How did you become human?" You asked, tucking your leg underneath you, pulling a blanket over your lap.

"Raphael," Cas answered. "He was jealous of my leadership and wanted to take control. He already had quite the following, but it wasn't enough. So he tricked me, turned me human and sent me tumbling back to Earth. And now he is probably ruling Heaven, turning it into utter chaos."

"And there's nothing we can do?"

He smiled, the first real smile you had seen since he had arrived on your doorstep. "I wish there was. Both Sam and Dean are off doing their own thing, and well, they won't let me back up there."

"Well, you're welcome here as long as you want," you assured him. "And we'll figure something out. I promise."

"Thank you Y/N," Cas spoke gruffly, placing the empty plate onto the coffee table. "I'm sorry for troubling you with this, but I knew you would be the right person to go to."

"Cas, I care for you," you reached over, your fingers lightly brushing his cheek. "And I will do anything to help you out."

With the wheel of fortune still playing in the background, you leaned over, your lips brushing against his, waiting to see what he would do. His vibrant blue eyes stayed open, watching you curiously. You had been tempted to kiss him more than once, but he always seemed so unattainable as an angel. As a human, you figured you might have a shot with him.

"Y/N, what was that for?" He asked, running his thumb unconsciously across his lips.

You looked down, your cheeks blushing slightly as you tried to find the words to say. "I just...Cas, I wanted to do that for quite some time. And I thought it might comfort you as well."

He nodded as if that explained everything. "I have heard that coupling does make people feel better," he exclaimed as if your words had solved everything.

He moved so fast that his forehead knocked against yours. "Ouch," you muttered, rubbing your head.

"I'm sorry," he spoke sheepishly. "But I've always felt this certain way whenever you're around, and I thought that maybe those feelings meant I was attracted to you."

"You sure have a way with words," you mumbled, but you knew he didn't mean anything bad by them. He was or had been Angel, after all.

Cas sighed, running his hand along his mouth, a gesture he had no doubt learned from Dean. You stood up in front of Cas, taking his hand in yours. "Come. Let's see if we can figure out what those feelings exactly are."