Oblivion

Dean x Reader

Blood dripped down the solid steel of the machete. It hissed as it landed on the frozen floor, still warm. The sight of the dead bodies, the heads severed from the bodies would have grossed most people out. But to you, it was the sight of a job well done. It was a reminder that people were a little safer because of you.

"Wipe that machete off. I want to be home before midnight tonight," Dean grumbled, glaring your way as he stumbled to the door.

Wondering why he was such a grouch, you followed him outside. "Dean, don't you think that went well?" You asked. "Wait, aren't we going to burn the place down or something?"

He glared at you over the top of the Impala. "That type of fire will draw all sorts of attention that we don't need. This place is deserted. Those bodies will rot long before anyone comes out here."

"Oh," you whispered. "I guess you're right."

Ignoring the grime covering your flannel and jeans, you slid into the Impala, staying quiet for a moment. But the excitement of your first hunt couldn't be contained, and you a giggle escaped your lips. "Dean, I did it! I survived my first hunt."

He only grunted in response, but you kept going, staring out at the snow-covered fields that were blurring by. "I wasn't sure I would be strong enough to swing the machete, let alone slice a head clean off and I did it! Multiple times."

Dean grunted again, reaching down to turn on the radio. But the sound of Lynrd Skynrd coming through the speakers wasn't going to be enough to rain on your parade. "I really thought that one vamp was going to since his teeth into me. The tall, hunky one. He reminded me of Eric from True Blood. Thank goodness you stepped in and took care of him for me."

"Of course I stepped in. He was looking at you like a prime rib," Dean grumbled, his hand tight on the steering wheel.

"I don't ever want to know what those teeth feel like ripping into my skin," you shuddered. "Too bad we didn't get there in time to save those three poor people. But at least no one else will get hurt by them. Or turned."

Dean grunted in agreement, and you turned silent for a moment, watching as the snow started falling down. "I knew my first hunt would be scary. But seeing that first Vampire rushing towards me? I about wet myself."

"Did you?" Dean asked, swerving in the road. "Because if you did we're stopping now, and...,"

"I didn't!" You exclaimed, bright red. "I said almost."

"Good, he grumbled, still in that bad mood.

"But when I started swinging that machete, my nerves evaporated. I started killing them, and while the feeling of the warm blood hitting me grossed me out, I just sort of...I don't know. It felt almost....natural. You know?"

"I get it," Dean answered, leaning towards the window as he continued down the highway.

"I really wasn't sure I'd like the actual hunting. I know both you and Sam warned me that there is nothing to get you ready for an actual hunt. I was worried that one hunt and I would be done. But knowing that you're doing good, that you might actually be saving the world? It's kind of addicting."

Stopping to take a breath, you liked the feeling rushing through you. Excitement, leftover adrenaline. A feeling that you had finally found where you belonged. It was a heady feeling, one that you wanted to hold on to. Ready to tell Dean your thoughts, you were stopped when the Impala swerved to the side, slipping on the snow piled on the shoulder.

"Dean, pay attention!" You exclaimed, turning your attention away from the snow just in time to see Dean slump over the steering wheel. "DEAN!" You screamed, finally pulling away from the oblivion brought on by your success. Noticing the blood darkening Dean's flannel shirt, the clamminess of his forehead. "Damn it, why didn't you say anything?"

"You were so happy about the hunt," he grunted, groaning in pain as you tried to stop the bleeding. Dean pulled away from the steering wheel, trying to gather himself. The movement caught his wound, and he cried out, jerking the steering wheel. "Pull over!" You ordered, the car sliding in the slush.

Dean slid her foot off the gas, smiling over at you, blood staining his teeth before his eyes rolled back in his head. You were caught between saving Dean or saving the car. Turning to the steering wheel, you glanced out the windshield just as the large tree trunk came into view, the sound of metal crunching the last thing you heard.