Chapter 8

It had started to rain. Selena was now in Joe's big apartment, he was nowhere to be seen so she went upstairs. She went to the balcony and saw him sitting on the edge of it, the suit he was wearing was soaking wet and so was his hair. He had been drinking. Selena still had her award in her hands as she walked over to him.

''Joe are you crazy? Get down.''

Joe looked at her and laughed. ''You looked very beautiful with the award in your hands, you still do.'' He stood up, as he was walking on the edge.

''Joe,'' she half shouted.

''No hang on ...'' he said and stopped walking. ''I was very famous you know. I had it all and I loved it. Later on I couldn't handle it ... or my senses. It's still like that today.''

Selena stood still as she had gotten soaking wet as well. She stood here up until he continued to walk and had almost lost his balance. She ran over to him. ''JOE,'' she shouted and helped him down. ''What are you doing?''

Joe laughed and suddenly became serious. ''We have to end this ... whatever there is between us. We can live without each other Selena,'' he touched her cheek as they were sitting. ''Your successful. You have it all. My habits are bad, I might hurt you badly. I can't do this,'' he took his hand away from her cheek, stood up and walked inside. Selena sighed, she could almost cry.

Selena walked inside to him where he was pouring himself a drink and spoke. ''Then ... then stop drinking. It's no good for you. I will help you.''

''I can never stop. It's an addiction.'' Joe took a sip of this drink. ''So just listen when I tell you ... you'll be happier without me.''

Selena stepped closer to him. ''Then that means you can live with is addiction but not me,'' as his back faced her, she pulled him to her so she could look at his face. ''Joe. This ... us, what we feel for each other is not a joke.''

Joe hissed. ''But my life is.''

''Then if you were so scared, why did you become so close to me. WHY?'' she raised her voice. ''You should have just stayed away from me!''

''I KNOW,'' he yelled. ''UNTIL YOU CAME ALONG EVERYTHING WAS SO MUCH EASIER FOR ME. JUST GO AWAY.''

Tears ran down Selena's cheek. ''Fine. I'm going away from you and this success.'' She was about to walk off when he grabbed her wrist.

''No, don't walk away from this success. Your very fortunate to have it.''

Selena shook her head. ''That's my point. You were with me in my bad times ... if your not going to be there with me in my good times ... then I don't want it.'' She released herself from his grip and walked away from him, out of his house and into the pouring rain. She had left her award on his table. He took it into his wet hands and stared at it.

Selena was walking outside. It was dark, raining, cars were driving all around and she was soaking wet. She heard Joe call her name so she walked faster. He had caught up with her as he was running.

''Selena, Selena. Listen,'' he tried to grab her wrist again but she flinched. He got her to face him and held her face with his hands. Her cheeks were cold so he took his jacket off and wrapped it around her. Selena stared into his brown eyes as they were standing in the middle of the road, cars riding past them. He walked her back inside, carrying her bridal style into his bedroom and layed her on his bed. She was lying there as he sat on the edge of it, she reached out her hands to him, wanting him to wrap his arms around her and kiss her. When he hesitated, she rose up and leaned closer to him. She slowly kissed his lips. At first he didn't give in but then he did and deepened the kiss.  They lied on the bed as they were still kissing each other and Selena unbuttoned his shirt.