Chapter 27

As Joe walked into Elena's apartment, after closing the door after him he heard someone crying. He furrowed his eyebrows, wondering what was going on. He walked into Elena's bedroom seeing her hugging her knees, crying. Her hair was tied up in a messy bun and she wore her pajamas.

''Elena?'' he asked walking towards the bed, she looked up and she had tears in her eyes. ''Oh god. Elena what's wrong?'' he asked and sat on the edge of her bed, touching her leg. ''What happened? Is it about Damon?''

''Sort of,'' she cried.

''Tell me.''

She wiped the tears off her cheeks and looked at him. ''I kissed someone.''

''Woah. But is that so bad? Your moving on. Isn't that good?''

''I mean yeah but everytime I feel I'm moving on I start to feel guilty. I kissed him once before but this time it was more intense, it would have probably gone further if I hadn't run out on him.''

Joe sighed. ''Who was it?''

She sniffed. ''His name is Jackson, he works at the gallery.''

''And do you like him?''

''Yeah I do. Alot, more then alot. It's just so hard, I feel so guilty all the time Joe.'' She cried. ''I kiss him and think how if Damon wasn't dead it was him I would be kissing. But when Jackson looks at me I feel good. Really good. Amazing actually. I feel happy again and I haven't felt happy since Damon died.''

''Damon would want you to move on and be happy Elena. He loved you and that means he would want you to be happy,'' he told her and gave her a comforting smile. 

She was no longer crying, just half smiling. ''Oh god what have I done? Jackson probably hates me right now.''

''Just talk to him tomorrow Elena.''

She nodded. ''I'll try. I hope he gives me the benefit of the doubt.''

After arriving home, Selena walked into her and Sam's apartment. She sighed, still wet from the rain and pulled off her wet jacket, hanging it by the door. She shook her hair, hoping the wetness would be less. Next she walked into her bedroom, expected to see Sam in it, relaxing or something. He might be sleeping. To her surprise, he wasn't. He sat on the bed and in front of him were suitcases.

''Uhm...are we going somewhere?'' she laughed staring at him. He had a serious look on his face and for a moment he looked at the floor before he looked at her again.

He shook his head. ''No we aren't but I am,'' he told her, there was a serious tone in his voice and immediatly she knew something was up. He stood up walking over to her. 

''Do you have to be somewhere? A job?''

''I think you know that isn't the case.''

''Are you leaving me?'' she asked with tears in her eyes. ''Don't you love me anymore?''

''Of course I love you Selena, don't be absurd. I will always love you but I know you are still in love with Joe. I saw you today and I saw how you looked at him.''

''Sam I-"

"-There's no point in hiding it Selena. I'm not mad at you it wouldn't be fair. You have been the most wonderful girlfriend.'' He touched her cheek, stroking it. She couldn't help but notice the painful look in his eye. ''Us being together it wouldn't be fair. It wouldn't be fair to me or you.''

''Sam I wish that it was different.''

''Me too,'' he said. ''Me too. But let's be honest-one year...twenty years. You would never look at me the way you look at Joe. Would you?''