28. Daughter Of Who?

Madi POV

"This is the El-i-gi-us ship. Zeke, Charmaine, Robert and Vi-nson are the in-hab-i-, ugh! In-hab-i-"

"In-hab-i-tants," Zeke corrects me.

"Inhabitants," I repeat.

"Okay, now try this," Zeke says as he furiously scribbles something down on a new sheet of paper.

I examine the alien words before me. Some, I have never seen.

"The k-k-"

"Quick," Zeke tells me.

"The quick br-bro- brown f-f-f-ox?" I ask Zeke, making sure I was correct so far. He nods his head in approval. "The quick brown fox j-j-jum," "Jumped," Zeke corrects me.

"The quick brown fox jumped ov-er the la-," I didn't know how to pronounce the string of letters before me. L-A-Z-Y.

"Lazy."

"The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog."

"Dog," He says with a short "O" instead of a long "O".

"The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog," I repeat, pronouncing dog correctly this time. "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog!" I exclaim with a triumphant smile.

"Clarke!" I run over to her. "Clarke!! I read my first long sentence!"

"Tell me," she says with a smile.

"The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog!"

"Good job, natblida!!"

She gives me a hug.

"Do you need any help with anything?" I ask Clarke.

"No, but I'm sure Raven would like to see you. She's been dying to know how you survived Praimfaya. Do you want her to run some tests on you? If not I completely understand."

"Sure, I'll go visit her!"

"Okay. You do that sweety," Clarke says to me before returning to her conversation with Charmaine.

-

Once I find Raven in the engine room, I say "Hello."

"Hi," she replies, her nose still buried deep in manual papers.

"So I heard from Clarke that you're interested in me."

"Oh yeah?" An automatic reply she gives me as she sorts through more papers.

"Yeah, she said you're interested in my blood, how I stayed alive."

She finally looks up from her papers. "I am, actually. But, without Becca's lab there's nothing I can really do."

"Who's Becca?" I ask. Everyone kept talking about this person, so she must be important.

"She is the person who invented nightblood. It was made to sustain a lot of radiation, which is why you survived Praimfaya."

"Oh."

"I do have one question, though," raven says as she walks closer to me. "How come you didn't compete in the conclave? I thought every nightblood was supposed to."

"Conclave?" I ask. What was a conclave?

"You don't know?"

I shake my head. "Well, I'm not the expert on this subject, but only a nightblood can become Heda. To select a new Heda, there is a conclave. Nightbloods from all over each Kru compete to become Heda. Last one standing wins."

"They kill each other?"

"Yes," Raven replies. "I have another question, I hope you don't mind. Who is your mother?"

"My mother? I never met her personally, for reasons I do not know. I only know her name: Ontari."

Raven looks shocked. "Does Clarke know?"

"No, it never came up."

"This is shocking, I think she should know."

"Why? What would my mother have to do with anything?"

"Your mother, Madi, was Heda."

"What does that do for me? Everyone is gone. It's not like this legacy is important anymore."

"I guess you're right, but you should still tell her. Clarke and some of her friends knew Ontari personally, I'm sure they'd be surprised as well."

"Okay, maybe. Do you have anymore questions?"

"A few. What Kru are you from?"

"Ouskejon Kru."

"Do you know who your father is?"

"No."

"Then how do you know who your mother is?"

"My leader told me."

"What if he lied?"

I got mad. My fists clenched. "You think my people would lie?"

"I don't know. Grounders seem to be the ones to lie a lot."

I took my knife out of my belt and in one swift motion, have her arm behind her back with my knife threatening to cut open her neck.

"Next time you call anyone from my Kru a liar, those will be the last words you speak!"

"Hey!" I hear a deep voice yell, I think it's Bellamy. He pries my off of Raven and holds me upside down on his shoulder.

"What's going on here?" Clarke joins us.

"Your little natblida here threatened me with her knife!" Raven yelled.

"She called my people liars!" I scream. I try to wriggle from Bellamy's hold, but it's no use.

"Madi, listen to me. Raven has not had the best experience with grounders, neither have any of us. Some people handle it differently. Raven's grudge is still there, you need to be easy on her," Clarke says in a low, but stern voice to me.

"Okay," I say as I close my eyes and let a tear run down my face.

"Bellamy, give her to me," Clarke tells Bellamy.

He pulls me off and gives me to Clarke.

"Not so fast Madi," Bellamy tells me as he holds out the palm of his hand, requesting my knife. Reluctantly, I give it to him.

"I'm sorry for threatening you," I say in an almost barely-audible voice to Raven.

She rolls her eyes. "I apologize for calling your leader a liar."

"Why did you call her leader a lot in the first place?" Bellamy asks.

"Because," Raven says flatly, looking to me, signaling my que to tell them.

"Because my leader told me I am the daughter of Ontari."