Incubus: Part three-To kill a...creepy thing

(Trigger warning-Threatening sexual content)

Annie turned the taps off but stayed in the shower a while longer, curled up in a protective ball. She had her arms wrapped around her knees, which were pulled up tight against her chest. She took slow, deep breaths; which was hard in the steamy room. After a few minutes, she got to her feet and grabbed a towel. She dried off, wrapped the towel around herself and headed out into her room. She heard voices coming from the next room and for a moment, terror gripped her heart. It took her a few seconds to realise the voices belong to Jared and Paul.

Annie took her time drying her hair, combing it and slowly putting on her pyjamas. The routine made her feel safe; it was familiar and therefore comforting. A knock on the door made her jump.

"Who is it?" She said with a little bit too much anxiety in her tone.

"Jared and Duckman," Came the reply.

Annie headed over to the door and opened it a crack. Senor Quackington's head poked through the gap and Jared's voice followed it as the duck's head bobbed up and down.

"I will protect you, Senorita. I, Duckman, am the greatest hero of all time. None shall hurt you while I am here."

Annie smiled slightly. "So, the duck is Mexican now?" She said.

Quackington disappeared with a quack and Jared's face appeared at the door. "Quackington is whatever he needs to be. Like me." He paused for a moment. "Are you okay?"

Annie nodded slowly, her yes unfocused. Her mind's eye was far away, in a dirty club. She shook the thoughts away and looked at Jared's eyes. His expression was soft, concerned.

"I'll feel better once you rip the things fucking head off." She said through gritted teeth.

Jared gave a salute. "One torn head coming right up." He gave her a reassuring smile. "It won't touch you again." His demeanor shifted, becoming serious. "I promise."

Annie gave him a half smile. "Thank you. I'm gonna stay in here for now."

Jared nodded. "We're heading off in a minute, to get in position."

Panic clawed at Annie's chest. "You...you're leaving?"

"Sort of. We are heading across the road, to the roof there. We will be able to see everything going on. When the time is right, we will strike."

Annie took a deep breath, swallowing her fear. "Okay."

Jared gave a wonky smiled and turned to leave. Annie placed a hand on his shoulder through the gap. "Remember your promise." She whispered.

Jared gave her a wink, squeezed her hand reassuringly and left.

The Incubus moved quietly through the alleyway, keeping to the shadows; like his father had taught him. The memory of his father flashed through his mind. The last time he had seen him, he was burning, screaming as some human shaped beast tore him to pieces. He had heard about these monsters in stories passed down by his elders. Immortal slayers, hell-bent on destroying his kind. A shiver ran through his body; he hoped never to meet one of them. He had been as careful as he could to avoid detection, and was proud of how well he was doing.

The image of his father left his mind and was replaced by the girl from the bar. Those beautiful ivory legs. The glint in her eye. The subtle smell of flowers and coconut. She had driven him crazy; now it was time to get what she owed. He checked the coast was clear and slipped into the building.