Gathering of the Voidwalkers

Euphoria, circa 2137

Thayden shot upright, gasping for air. He placed a metallic hand to his head, trying to steady the throbbing. He'd had that damn dream again. Outside, the cities bright neon lights threw colours into the sky, turning the rain into shimmering, rainbow droplets. He sighed and slid out of bed, heading into the kitchen.

"Water," He said. The sink in front of him produced a glass and filled it to the brim. Thayden scooped it up and downed it. He'd been having this dream for many weeks now and he was starting to see it as a vision of some kind. It had happened ever since he'd enhanced his body with experimental teleportation tech. The tech allowed him to move space around him, moving between dimensions to different worlds.

"Thay?" A drowsy voice said.

He turned back towards the bed to find a beautiful, naked goddess staring over at him. He smiled, admiring the way the neon lights coloured her skin. He walked over to the bed, his metal feet thumping on the wooden floors.

"I didn't mean to wake you, Claire," Thayden said as he sat down on the bed. Claire crawled over the bed and leaned next to him, running a hand over his metal chest.

"Are you okay?" She inquired sleepily. She reached up and ran a hand through his hair; one of the few parts of him that was still real. Thayden had many enhancements, he was about 80% artificial. Claire was grateful that his junk and ass were still real flesh; as were his lips, hair, face (for the most part) and one or two of his internal organs. Claire didn't mind his enhancements, in fact, she loved some of them; but when they were intimate, sometimes cold steel was a bit of a mood killer. A bit of flesh here and there helped counter that.

"Yeah, I think. I had that dream again."

Claire rubbed her eyes. "The Planet one or the ferret one?"

Thayden laughed. "The planet one. It's always the same. I'm on this planet, similar to ours, but...different. The word Earth is stuck in my head. I'm walking through a forest but the trees are all real, nothing artificial. It's beautiful. Then..." His voice broke for a moment and a bead of sweat ran down his optical senor node. "Then...something...dark appears. It...it..." He couldn't finish.

Claire leaned up and wrapped her arms around him, bringing his head to rest on her chest and wrapping a leg over his waist. "Shh," She said, kissing his forehead. "It's just a dream."

Thayden was shaking but managed to speak. "I don't think it is. I was scanning Metatech's database and found documents mentioning a planet called Earth in a galaxy called The Milky Way. I don't think it's a dream. I think it's a vision of some kind."

Claire stroked his head. "Do you want to visit this planet?" She asked.

"Yes. I think I need to." He looked up at her and she smiled. "I'm sorry to just leave like this but something tells me I need to be there. It's like...I'm drawn to it."

Claire kissed him again. "If that's what you feel you need to do then you should go. I'll take care of things here until you return."

Thayden leaned up, resting over her on his arms. He stared into her eyes. Thank you."

"Of course," Claire replied, kissing him. "But first..." She wriggled under him and wrapped her legs around his waist.

****

Rhode Island, 1928, Earth.

The man stalked across the rooftop before climbing down and stopping at the nearest window. He peeked inside. The room was darkened, small candles flickered on a desk where a man in a dark suit sat, his back to the window. The man focused, allowing his mutated irises to slip to the front of his eyes. The dark washed away as his night vision kicked in.