CHAPTER 1 - The Escape

You lunge forwards over the edge and land nimbly on the next rooftop. Keeping low you approach the ledge. Sliding out your gun from its holster you twist a silencer over the muzzle. You could say that you were an assassin of some sorts...not by choice. You take a deep breath in and stare up at the clear sky and watch the stars twinkle in the distance. Its beauty trances you and momentarily making you forget about everything that had happened to you, but unfortunately you must have lingered for a moment too long as a sharp zap erupts from your neck sending the pain throughout your body. You barely even wince, you were used to this...too used to this for your liking. You instantly focus back on the mission knowing that you had once again disobeyed.

"I'm going in." You murmur into the mic on your wrist. You grip onto the side of the building and lower yourself down until your feet rest on a small ledge outside a window. You sense movement from inside the building and quickly lower yourself down another level as a shadow appears on a wall. You balance yourself and slide open the window to the apartment...your target's apartment. You slip stealthy in. It looks like no one is home...but all the lights are on.

You hear footsteps thud down the hall, you quickly dodge behind the kitchen counter. You weren't one to linger like they always do in the movies. You stand up quickly and pull the trigger getting the job over and done with. Before the man has any time to react or even blink he stands there with a hole right through the middle of his forehead. As he starts to collapse you grip onto him and lower him quietly to the floor making sure to raise no suspicion from the neighbours.

There was no need to be careful about leaving evidence, especially finger prints. They got burnt off when they made you this way. You remember the floor plans of the apartment and jog down the hallway. You go into the man's office and rip a painting off the wall. Sure enough, there it is. The safe. You pull out the small hacking device and attach it to the lock. It sticks on like a magnet. You hear it make small robotic noises just like clockwork. Suddenly the safe door swings open leaving its contents to any curious eyes.

"Is it there?" A harsh voice barks through the mic.

"Affirmative."

"Well, what are you waiting for. Get the stuff and go." It cuts off sharply leaving you with static. You scoop the contents (which contains a new and expensive type of illegal drug) into your backpack and make a run for it.

~time skip~

"Here." You chuck your backpack onto the round table that six men and single women are sitting at. "Knock yourself out." Bitterness snaps at your vocals. Not quite just as figurative as you said. Tonight, was the night, you had a plan. This day was the day you had been waiting for the past three years. You would kill them and escape. Kill the men that abducted an unsuspecting eighteen-year-old and turned her into their personal slave that at the click of a finger would be there without doubt – because pain was the motive. Every time you stepped slightly out of line they would activate the manipulator chip which sent unspeakable pains throughout your body, but every time it would become easier – you would be numb from the pain. But freedom was not your only motive – although the strongest – no, revenge was. To get back at Talon, to tear down the people that murdered your parents – took everything away form you.

Personally, you didn't like killing but now it just seemed like a way of life. Rather, you had no choice to murder these men because if they survived they would be able to control you, to find you. You were never able to escape because of the manipulator chip they embedded into your neck. Many times, you had tried to cut it out, to reach it but failed every time. The horrors they had done to you were a bit more than anticipated.

Cybernetics.

Yes, you were human, but not completely. You still had a heart, brain, what one would call a soul – everything about you was biologically normal except for the fact that they had installed cybernetics under the skin of your arms, legs and your spine. That's why you could never dig the chip out, because it was embedded under a layer of near indestructible metal. The worst part was not only that you were now their ideal slave – able to leap to rooftops, run with incredible speed or lift objects that the average human could only dream of lifting – but the surgery was done with you awake. Something that you would never wish upon others – slipping in and out of consciousness from the pain only to reawaken to it again and again and again, over and over.