CHAPTER 21 - A Place of Escape

You stare at the grey-haired man that sat in front of you, his arms either side of the desk and a worried expression on his face.

"Who's Gabe?" You saw the blood drain from his already pale skin.

"He was the commander of Blackwatch," Genji says stepping out from the corner of the room. You turn your head to look at him as he paces to the side of the desk.

"Blackwatch? I remember that..." You trail off remembering the news about the secret strike team being uncovered, it was essentially the beginning of the downfall of Overwatch. "Gabe. As in Gabriel Reyes?" Morrison looked up and nodded slowly. "But I thought he was dead?"

"That's what we thought too – until not long ago when Talon came up on our radar."

"What happened to him?"

"You know as much as we do – perhaps more."

"How would know more?"

"You were in their base of operations." He raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah so?" Morrison leant back and sighed in contemplation and remained eerily silent.

"Maybe we could send you back in."

"Send me back in! Are you crazy!" You brought your rage down in the form of a fist on the desk making everything shake and rattle.

"It wouldn't be the worst of ideas," Genji added. You glared up at him.

"Oh, so now you agree with him?!"

"Think of it as your first official mission, after all, you're always saying how you don't know what your purpose here is." You could almost see the smirk he had behind the mask. But you couldn't argue with his logic. You try to argue back but nothing comes out. He was right, you felt like you served no purpose here...well now, that was going to change.

"Of course, we couldn't send you in straight away. A lot of planning and training is required for these types of missions. What do you say?" Morrison asked almost hopefully. You sat back in your chair and frowned. This is was what you were waiting for, it was finally time to so some good.

"Fine. I'll do it."

---

You stood in the rec room holding a steaming hot chocolate Genji had made you earlier as you stared out the window. The ruffling of pages could be heard from behind as you turn back to Lena who was engrossed in a book from the early 2000s. Its cover was faded, and the pages riddled with coffee stains.

"So, they're sending you back in?" You turned back to her and collapsed down on the couch next to her.

"Yeah."

"Don't worry (Y/N)." She looked up from behind her book. "We'll get you in and out safely. We're a team after all!" She said cheerily.

"Yeah well, that didn't exactly go as planned last time."

"Last time wasn't planned at all. But this time..." She smiled sweetly.

"Thanks." You smiled back and took a sip of the hot liquid.

"What about Genji?" You almost spit the hot chocolate back into the cup.

"What do you mean?"

"How is he?" She brings her knees up to her chest where the chronal accelerator sits.

"Oh, yeah uhm, his okay I guess."

"He was really worried about you (Y/N)."

"Really?" She nods as you look away from her and down at your hands. "I don't see how anyone could be worried about this wreck."