Chapitre Dix

With every letter that was written Alex fell more in love. After a certain point Alex decided to even write handwritten letters to John. He learned the large things about Johns's life, like his distant father or his mother almost dying. He learned the small things such as how cilantro tastes soapy for him, and how he's always wanted a turtle. None of this would have ever come up in conversation. Even small things like John's favorite color seemed too intimate to share with Eliza, because nobody would ever find that out normally.

Alex felt like a middle school girl. All of this made him giddy and happy, and all of the emails and letters from John plastered a dorky smile on his face. Eliza wanted Alex, on Valentine's Day, to tell John it was him, but Alexander found that to be the worst idea ever. Not only would it be the cheesiest thing ever, but he didn't want to make John mad. After all of this, after John enjoying it and getting engaged with this secret admirer of his, he didn't want John to be disappointed with who it was, or mad that Alex did that. He didn't want to ruin their friendship.

That being said, Valentine's day was a mess. There was Eliza telling Alexander to tell John, there was Angelica asking Alex why he was avoiding Eliza, there was Alex himself conflicted between whether he should or not. All while having to maintain a certain level of emotional stability because the school decided not to take the day off.

By lunch Alex decided he wouldn't tell John. It was too risky, and Eliza could just deal with it. It was probably a good thing, too. As Alex wrote the subject matter of the lesson on the whiteboard, John decided to stop by.

"Hey, John. Don't you have classes right now?" Alex questioned barely looking away fro the board. John shook his head.

"Nope, not on gym days," He paused and looked at the board. "You wanna know something Alex?" he asked. Alexander finished writing it out and turned to face John. He cocked an eyebrow, inviting John to tell him. "You are one of the only people I know who writes in cursive, and you're definitely the best at it."

"Thanks. That's kind of a random observation," Alex said. John chuckled.

"Yeah, I guess it is. But the thing is, I got a handwritten letter from the secret admirer I had, so I've been trying to pinpoint the handwriting," John told Alex. Alexander tensed up but got himself to act normal. If he doesn't act suspicious then he won't be suspected.

"That's-that's smart. D-do you have any ideas about who it is?" Alex asked turning to John. He looked amused. Alexander's stomach dropped.

"Yup," John said smirking. At that moment, of course, the bell had to ring. John walked out of the room quietly chuckling, and Alexander tried as hard as he could to convince himself that John had a different person, and that he didn't actually figure it out that it was Alex. It was the most unconvincing thing he had ever told himself.