Chapter 8

“What the hell is going on?” Gabe asked as soon as Calla and her roommate were out of earshot.

“Nothing, just trying to get a little action.” I shrugged. No way was I telling a Sterling douche our pack business. If she turned, she would be a member of our pack, not his.

“Bullshit, she was bit. I could tell. She's too small. She will never survive the turn. Why is your alpha even bothering to have her watched?” Gabe stared at me as I drove.

I shrugged and tried to play it off. “Hey man, Alpha says to do something, I do it. It's an easy job, so I can't complain.” It was an easy job, that wasn't a lie. Plus Calla had this vibe about her. I wanted to protect her. I knew she probably wouldn't survive and the thought of her dying did make me a little sad. I wanted her to be okay. I knew if she survived the odds of her being my mate were slim to none, so that wasn't the reason. She was just so small, someone had to watch out for her.

“You can't lie for shit. You're hoping she's your mate.” Gabe scoffed. “Or you're Alpha is trying to cover up the fact his son bit a human.”

Shit, how did he even know?

“Don't look all surprised. Carter told us how that little prick Tommy was getting a well deserved ass kicking when he bit the girl.” Gabe’s arms crossed over his chest.

I flicked my eyes to Carter in the rearview mirror.

“You were the one fighting with Tommy? He wouldn't say.” I questioned.

“Yep. His mouth wrote a check his ass couldn't cash. I just wanted to check on the girl. But you got to her first. I figured Tommy wouldn't care what happened to her, so I got her info from Brent.” Carter's unruly curly brown hair flopped down over his eye. He pushed the hair back and looked out of the window. “I should have stayed with her, but Tommy said he would clean it up. Once I heard Brent and Cole picked her up and got the story from Brent I knew he lied to me.”

“Yeah, she was told she OD’ed.” I chuckled a little about that. I've been watching her for a few days now. She hasn't drank anything alcoholic, or taken any kind of medicine. Must have scared the crap out of her to OD. True I can't watch her twenty four seven, so one of our omega girls Christie is helping me. She said she hasn't seen her take anything either. Christie said that my Sweet Pea could be a nun. Work, school, home. This is the first time I've seen her out not going to one of those three places. Guess the grocery store was an exciting outing. Nobody but her roommate has even been to the apartment, except for her ex-boyfriend that I made leave.

“You guys think she won't make it if she shifts?” Carter asked suddenly.

“Not a chance. Too small. Weak.” Gabe answered firmly.

“Couldn't we help her somehow? I don't want some innocent girl to die because of me.” Carter begged.

“You didn't bite her Carter. Tommy is the one responsible.” Gabe has always been a hard ass. Him reassuring Carter was out of character for him.

“Why were you such an ass to her if you were going to check on her? What were you going to insult her until she told you what you wanted to know?” I questioned.

“No, I didn't realize it was her until Carter saw her. I knew her name as Calla. Not Sweet Pea. Besides, being with a human is disgusting. I didn't actually call her disgusting.” Gabe scoffed.

“Just leave her to me. I'll look out for her.” Gabe was a an okay tracker, not better than me of course and a great fighter, but his personality sucked around humans.

I turned down a dirt path a little outside of town. We did have business today. The packs in the area meet once a month. Living this close to humans and other packs we have to know of anything major that will affect our safety. These stupid college kids like to have bonfires in the woods and get drunk. We used to have a wolf or two enrolled in classes at the college so we knew what was going on. It's supposed to be Tommy’s job now but he can't seem to get invited to anything, guess humans think he's a douche also.

We bumped down the overgrown path for almost a mile before the path split into two. The path was a boundary line between my pack and Sterling pack lands. I guided the SUV to the right side of the path. A little further up the path was a building that the packs made for these meetings. The Alpha's a long time ago decided that meeting in the rain outside sucked. Have to say I agree, the clouds rolling in looked dark and the slight breeze outside smelled of rain. If we still had to stand outside for the meeting, it would have been uncomfortable.

“What the hell are they doing here?” Gabe growled.

“Shit. That can't be good.” stepping out of a van in the dirt parking lot was the Alpha and Beta of a pack that lived further to the north. They were more animal than human most of the time. They didn't want to be a part of our little three pack treaty. So why were they here?