chapter 41

The ride back was quiet, but I swear Donovan was humming 'Death of a Bachelor'. We were all lost in our thoughts. Trying to figure out what to do next.

"Bro, can you take Kass and I to the airport tomorrow?" Derek broke the silence in the SUV.

"Yeah, when?" Donovan flicked his eyes to the rearview mirror and back.

"Flight to New York leaves at 2:00. Kass will meet us at Bloodrose."

Donovan nodded.

"Sorry Calla, guess I'm off the market. You missed your chance for all this goodness." Derek said grabbing my shoulder from the back seat.

I just snorted and shook my head. These men were worse than most of the boys I went to high school with.

Suddenly Stone, who had been following us passed us like we were standing still.

"What the hell?" Derek looked at Stones car fading into the distance.

"Shit." Donovan said pushing the gas to keep their car in sight. "Another attack. Cole is needed immediately. Maybe taking both doctors with us wasn't such a great plan."

Luckily we were not that far from home. Another ten minutes at most and we were sliding to a stop behind Stone's car.

A small crowd had gathered outside the clinic. They were obviously here because of whoever was injured inside.

"Do you know who it was?" I asked Donovan as he helped me down from his SUV.

"One of the older border patrol members. He has a lot of experience. A human wouldn't have gotten him." Donovan said as he placed me on the ground.

"He's well liked?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "And a large family."

I thought for a moment. "So she maybe picked this man? If he doesn't survive she can use that to fuel the fires against humans."

"That's a strong possibility Sweet Pea."

"So I'm standing next to the best tracker ever. Maybe he could ya know, use that nose and follow where the attacker went."

Donovan nodded and ran back to the drivers side of the truck.

"Hey, I'm going too." I grunted pulling myself back up in the truck as Donovan started the engine.

"No you're not, I don't know what's out there or if it's safe for you to go." He gripped the steering wheel tightly.

"Well you're not going alone. So if not me, then who is going with you?" I glared at him.

"In my seat Princess." Luke reached up and pulled me back out of the SUV. "Gotta go slay a dragon." He laughed as he hopped into the seat I was just in.

I stomped my foot as Donovan threw the SUV into reverse and barreled back down the road.

"Ugh, fricken men!" I muttered going towards the pack house.

"What's wrong darlin'? Realized you picked the wrong Black too late?" Derek smirked. He and Gabe were on the porch to the pack house.

"No. I just wanted to go. To help. I've been useless since I got here." I stomped up the stairs.

"I don't think that's true." Gabe said grabbing my hand as I went to pass him. "You found the letter. Got us all headed in the right direction."

The door behind me opened and Spears and Nina came out holding hands. "It's just awful, isn't it children?" A large tear rolled down Nina's cheek.

"My dear I'm sure our very talented doctors will make Sam right as rain." Spears wiped the alligator tear from her face.