Chapter Thirty Seven

Guess who! ^^^ who's the only character ever mentioned who hasn't had their chance to shine yet?

The next morning I was on my way to work, alone because of this 'baby feud' with my boyfriend, talking randomly to Rory. "I wish I could just have a normal life, Rory. One where daddy isn't pulling his hair out and neither is mommy. I wish daddy wouldn't be so against you. I'm sure if he just took the time to sit down and honestly gave a good nice lasting thought about you, he'd love you. Just as much as mommy does. I love you so much, sweetie." I rubbed my tummy discreetly as if that's what it took for the super tiny baby in there to hear me, not that it could either way. I don't know if it'll be a boy or girl, so I gave it a unisex name that started with an R, because I think R names go best with 'Montenegro'. Besides L names.

This baby, is the only thing keeping me from hitting my crumbling point.

Suddenly my phone rang, and I knew who it was because it was a gentle song with someone singing 'don't answer, screw him' in the background. I answered it anyways, in case it was about my tiny case against him. "What?"

"Look, Peyt, I'm sorry I shouted at you. I was just frustrated, and I took it out on you because I do a lot of stupid things. Like what I did almost two years ago. This is the last time I'll ever say it, and I want you to hear me. Are you listening?"

I sighed, really not in the mood but knowing him, he won't leave me alone until I listen. "Yes, Trevor."

"Good. Peyton, I am so truly, terribly sorry. It kills me everyday knowing that I hurt you so bad after what happened with Mr. (Jessie) Kendricks. I would walk to hell and back for you, specs, because I'm crazy about you. I get that you're moved on and you love a man who loves you more than anyone else and I admit, is better than me, and I'm happy for you, but I deserve at least an acception. I've apologized countless times since the morning I gained consciousness and I've meant it every damn time. Words can't describe how sick I feel for what I did. I hope we can get past this and just be friends or something. But don't act like I ruined your life forever. Because clearly, you're happy now."

"Fine. I forgive you, Trev. And if you want me to stop holding it over your damned head and not take you off my guard, you'll never bring up the topic again and let me deal with the new shit dumped on my plate, okay?"

"Absolutely. Thank you so much, specs. Bye."

"Mhm, I'll call the judge later and drop my allegations. Bye." I hung up, but I soon as I did, Maxwell called. "Ugh, can't you guys leave me to talk to my unborn child in peace?"

"Stop walking in big crowds, we can't guard you if we can't see you, Peyton."

"Isn't the point of avoiding your attacker to be in super public places so you have help all around you and you can scream for help easily?" I questioned, obviously not going to move from my path. Max sighed from his end and I could sense him pinching his nose in fluster. "Fine, I'll just get closer." He hung up, rudely, and as soon as he does, my arm is calmly grabbed, which makes me snap my head to the right. I froze from the waist up, my arms still folded over my chest and my shoulders tense and square.

He smiled, but the look in his eyes sent a wave of cold sweat to wash me over as he presses something into my side between our bodies discreetly and utters, "Scream, react, or send a signal and you're dead right here right now, almost in front of your boyfriend's empire." We were almost to Monte L, hundreds of people work there so this street is way too busy for Maxwell, or any guard, to find me easily. I should've listened to Max.