liii. gods of death and apples » death note (part one)

┌────────────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────────────┐

𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐎𝐒𝐌

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘺-𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦: 𝘨𝘰𝘥𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘴

𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘩 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘦 (𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘰𝘯𝘦)

└────────────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────────────┘

𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

     THE LAST THING I remember is the frigid temperature of the metal staircases beneath my back and the biting pain from the bullets that had been pumped into my flesh. Blunt, steeped edges of the steps were digging awkwardly into my back, probably sending pain through my being, but the bullet wounds would be cancelling out the minute pain with waves of their own. Other than the pain, I could feel nothing. It was all I knew.

     Right now, that pain is nowhere to be found, and so am I. I'm in the middle of nowhere; a plane of emptiness and dust with no beings in sight. There's no wind; no air, but I am still breathing. There's a dry taste in my mouth and a strange texture that reminds me of sand, but why? There has to be a reason that I am in this barren wasteland. In all my twenty-three years of life, I never knew anything to be without a reason, and surely this cannot be any different.

     This can neither be heaven or hell due to my having used the Death Note. 'A person that uses the Death Note can go to Heaven or Hell.' That's the rule, and I knew that from the word go. As soon as Ryuk told me, I was prepared for that fact, and I believed that, after I died, everything would be an endless expanse of darkness without formation or life. I most certainly did not believe that I would come to a plane of barren wasteland.

     "Hey, Light." The familiar, raspy voice makes me smirk. "Welcome to the Shinigami Realm."

     I turn around and grin up at my former friend, and God of Death. "Ryuk. Nice to see you."

     "You too. Come with me. We have some things to talk about."

     "Why can't we just discuss them here?"

     "The Shinigami King doesn't leave his throne. Sorry, Light."

     "Fair enough. Let's go then."

     The barren wasteland around us shortly becomes lumped with old structures that have fallen to the ground in rubble due to the disbelief Humans have in the Shinigami these days. The fact that some structures are still standing conveys that many Humans still believe in the Gods of Death. It's dilapidated and just looking at it makes me sick with rage. The Shinigami are strong beings that deserve to be acknowledged and returned to their former glory no matter the cost. They have done much for this world, and the world forgot them in return.