lv. the return of kira » death note (part three)

┌────────────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────────────┐

𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐎𝐒𝐌

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘺-𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘬𝘪𝘳𝘢

𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘩 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘦 (𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦)

└────────────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────────────┘

𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

     MIKAMI IS CURRENTLY ROCKING back and forth on the ground, obviously overwhelmed at the sight of two Shinigami, and without any memories. When Mikami game up ownership of the Death Note, he was left with the ability to see the Shinigami in the Human Realm, and see those Humans who had the Shinigami Eyes. He was diagnosed with a 'hallucinogenic disorder' due to, get this, 'the trauma of his childhood, and having witnessed the death of the serial murderer, Kira, whom he worshipped'.

     "Can someone hand him a Death Note?" Matsuda exclaims. "His staring is making me uncomfortable, and it's not even directed at me."

     I look over at my former God of Death. "Ryuk, would you do the honours?"

     Ryuk snickers evilly. "Of course."

     He gives Mikami his second Death Note - Gelus' notebook that Mikami used before - and steps back, watching as the Human's eyes flash red and a silent scream leaves his parted lips. His head falls forward a moment later and he lets out harsh breaths, trying to work his mind around what has happened in the past few days. Moments later, Mikami looks directly at me with his Shinigami Eyes.

     "God," Mikami murmurs. "You're different. You're not alive anymore. You're a Shinigami, aren't you?"

     I smirk at him, nodding. "I was offered the choice to become a Shinigami due to the amount of Humans I killed during my years as a user of the Death Note; my years of being Kira."

     "You have become a true god, God."

     "Not the one I planned for, but a god nonetheless."

     "Are you still planning on being the god of this dark age?"

     "I wouldn't have returned if I did not plan on ruling this world I have created." I look around at the Humans and Ryuk. "Now, it's time to get to work. We've missed quite a few hundred killings since Near and Mello appeared in the picture. It's time to get back to work, don't you agree?"

     Mikami and Misa nod, grinning at me, but Matsuda is hesitant to agree. In his eyes, there is a conflict I know all too well. He knows that killing the criminals is something that has to be done no matter what the cost, but he also wants to go about it the right way and not get involved with Kira, the Second Kira, and the Third Kira. He squeezes his eyes shut and presses the heels of his palms to his eyes, biting his bottom lip.

     "Matsuda," I call softly, crouching down in front of him. "I know you want to help us, and I know that you feel obligated to turn us all in. You can walk away now and you won't be involved. I promise. It's up to you now."

     Matsuda shakes his head vehemently. "I'm not abandoning you when you need me most."

     "Very well." I pull out Rem's Death Note from my back pocket and hold it out to him. "Matsuda, how would you like to become the Fourth Kira?"

     He takes the notebook with only a moment's hesitation, and a smirk appears on my face. This is still going exactly to plan, and there is not much more to do than resuming killing any and all criminals in this world. It doesn't take much to find all the criminals that have come out of hiding since the news of my death - of Kira's death - became public knowledge. There have been murder sprees and thieveries all around the world, and all of that is about to come to a standstill once again.

     Misa and Mikami greedily hog the computer, scribbling down names without pause. Matsuda picks up the remote and turns the TV on, revealing a headline talking about the recent outbreak of crime due to the demise of Kira and his followers. Picking up a pen, he holds it to a page of the Death Note, either hesitating or waiting for a picture of the perpetrator to appear on the screen. Ryuk, who has reverted back to his Shinigami form, is reclining on the bed, munching on apples, and not giving a damn about all the killing going on around him.

     Picturing those who thwarted my plans while I was alive, I write down their names. Nate River. Mihael Keehl. Mail Jeevas. They're all going to die, and there is no hesitation as my pen scrawls their names across a page of my Death Note. Screams erupt from outside as the sun begins to rise, shining light onto the dead bodies of criminals littering the streets of the Kanto Region. At the sound, Matsuda looks out the glass door with hardened eyes, his grip tight on his pen.

     "Matsu," Misa sing-songs, skipping over to him and draping her arms over his shoulders. "It's alright. You did the right thing."

     Matsuda grimaces. "I just killed people, and I am somehow alright with that."

     "Users of Death Notes become possessed by the Shinigami who owns the Death Note," I inform, looking over at the male. "That is Rem's notebook, and she wasn't exactly one to bat an eye at the Death of a few thousand Humans."

     At the mention of Rem, Misa turns to me with tearful eyes. "Rem's dead?"

     "L was going to kill you, and she, in response, killed him. She died because she saved a Human who she loved. You have the remainder of her lifespan, and you will live for quite a while."

     "Then, let me make the Eye deal with you, Light."

     My eyes glow red as I look just above her head, her name and the remainder of her life floating just above it. Rem had a significant amount of life left, and that is shown by the decades that have been added to Misa's lifespan. Allowing Misa to have Shinigami Eyes again would be an extra bonus, and that would, in turn, would help force the hands of those who oppose Kira.

     "Very well, Misa," I say, turning back to my Death Note and continuing to write names and causes of death. "You can have the Eyes again, but only because you have a significant amount of life left. You dying would place quite a large hole in my plans."

     "Misa is not an object, Light!" Matsuda exclaims, launching to his feet and stalking over to me, murder alight in his eyes.

     "Matsu, it's alright," Misa says, rushing over and clinging to his arm. "I told Light he could use me, and I was only using him in return to learn more about the Kira case so I could stay ahead of you."

     By the time the sun has risen a decent height into the sky, the world is beginning to panic once again at the 'apparent' return of Kira. News reporters are raving like mad. Some are afraid, and some are grinning madly. The people who are being interviewed about the bodies being found are saying that they are glad someone is riding this world of criminals once again, and that they hope that Kira has returned.