Part 2: Family

The week passed by slowly, in part because no major upsets or events happened

The week passed by slowly, in part because no major upsets or events happened. I spent my time avoiding Michael, avoiding Wes, and avoiding the concerned looks of my friends. I tried to start meditation, something that the dragon books had mentioned, but mostly spent hours bored out of my mind. I caught back up on my homework, something I'd fallen behind on recently (I wonder why...), and even got a little ahead.

Dressing in the clothes I already owned had become difficult, my uniform merely blurred my wings and I suddenly felt uncomfortable with them showing, knowing what they really were. I wanted to get shirts that properly covered them, but to get the uniform sweaters I needed for that required that I asked my mom, someone I'd been avoiding since Gael called her and ratted me out. I knew a lecture was coming, but I didn't want to listen to it. I didn't feel bad for attacking Michael, and nothing she said would change that.

When I finally broke down and called my mom, the lecture was expected and in depth. I tried my best not to ignore her, she was wise and mature and everything I was not, but I found that I couldn't place any value on what she said. She didn't know the full situation, and I couldn't tell her. She tried to be understanding, telling me that she knew that school was tough and that living with my classmates didn't make it easier. I didn't want to be one of those teenagers who said 'you don't understand!' to their parents, but the words screamed around my head as she spoke. By the end of the call, we could both tell that it was the end of an era. Something had shifted in our relationship, and we'd never be the same.

Thursday morning Katie let me know that Gael had found a mentor for me and that they'd call me Saturday morning. She'd gotten me an empty study room, rooms that were usually reserved for groups, because she was, no doubt, sick of me stealing her office. It was in that room that I sat, after logging into my user and video chat account on the computer on the wall, and waited not-so-patiently. Thankfully, the door to the room didn't have any windows, so no one was watching me pace nervously. Who was I going to meet?

Was it my father? Rage burned at the thought, anger because of everything he had done. My mother hadn't encouraged it, but as I aged my hate for him only grew. All of the ways he had hurt my mother and me- abandoning my mother and leaving her to the surprise and danger of raising a dragon alone, never reaching out, and apparently failing to teach me about being a dragon- made my blood boil. He was scum, and no matter how hard he tried, I doubted I could learn anything from him.

Was it someone else from his family? Was that my family? Meeting him was almost preferable, I knew how to feel about it. Some stranger, taking up my training and education because they were forced to... I didn't know how to feel about it, and I didn't really want to come up with an answer.

When the computer answered an incoming video call my heart stopped and raced at the same time, and when I saw who was on the screen I was immediately glad it wasn't a man- it wasn't my father.

Instead, an athletic woman with red hair was in front of the screen. She seemed to be calling me from a dining room or kitchen and smiled when she saw me. She was older than me, that much was clear, but had ambiguous looks where she could be 25 or 45.