Part 3: Empathy

"Dad?" I asked, surprised when my father walked into my dorm

"Dad?" I asked, surprised when my father walked into my dorm. "How- What-"

"Alenia needs your help," Beside him was Christine, her voice direct and to the point. That was normal, the racing fear coming off of her was not. I looked at my father, his face stoic just like mine.

"There is an emotional block caused by a rune on her wings," He answered. "It needs to be removed."

I nodded and stood up, walking to put my shoes on. "So they called you to fix it."

"Yes, but she will not allow me to," He replied. His face, as usual, didn't betray anything but it was still obvious that he was upset. It was Christine, desperate, who explained.

"Please, Mike," Christine said. "She won't hurt you, she's just scared."

Of course, she hadn't needed to ask. I was going to be there for Alenia no matter what she needed.

"Christine and Margie are waiting outside," I said to Alenia as soon as I saw her

"Christine and Margie are waiting outside," I said to Alenia as soon as I saw her. She nodded and I could tell felt immediately better now that they were nearby. "Are you okay? Christine and my dad told me the rest of what's going on."

"I-" She struggled with her words, feeling in complete turmoil. "What's in the bag?"

I handed it to her, uncomfortable but sure she would appreciate that I brought it. "A spare change of clothes."

"Oh- yeah," She said, accepting the bag and blushing.

My father spoke up then, "Now, you know what to do?" I nodded, the concept, at least, was simple. "Good, we'll leave you to it then. It may take a while, don't be impatient, and come get me at any point if you have any trouble."

"I promise, dad," I said, knowing he was upset that Alenia hadn't agreed to let him do it. I didn't blame him, but I also couldn't fault her. She was terrified.

"Don't resist," Naomi said. Her voice was stern but then it changed to comforting, maternal even when she continued speaking to Alenia. "And get excited, it's your burning day!"

"I'll examine you afterward," Bale said, walking out with the others. "But don't worry about pain in your wings, it is to be expected."

She nodded, unable to say anything, and for a moment longing for something, I couldn't decipher what. Being alone with her was uncomfortable. I wanted to rush forward and comfort her, tell her it was going to be okay, but things between us weren't that simple.