Part 5: Rubble

The warmth on the front of my right shoulder, the feeling of us that flowed through our connected hands, the mix of fear and excitement in Justin's eyes- we were mated

The warmth on the front of my right shoulder, the feeling of us that flowed through our connected hands, the mix of fear and excitement in Justin's eyes- we were mated. I could feel her nervous excitement, pure elation that we were mated and it was because we wanted to. Not because of a prophecy or an obligation. There was little doubt in my mind that the freedom of not having a prophecy on our shoulders was what gave Alenia the freedom to give into the budding emotions she'd been developing for the last little while. When I'd heard that there was no prophecy I had felt a twinge of worry, what if she left? Instead she'd grabbed my hand and proven that we were together through thick and thin. The new mark on my skin burned with pride, not pain but comfort. I wanted to see, wanted to see how the mark on her skin changed, but not wasn't the time.

"You've mated," Justin spoke with absolute certainty. And the award for Captain Obvious goes to.... "And I just can't wait to learn everything about it."

I felt my stomach sink at his words. We'd done exactly what he wanted. We'd done it in front of him, in front of the family that Alenia struggled to accept. I felt absolutely no regret, though I knew inherently that it was an intimate and private moment, but I knew that we had to act. Fear flashed through Alenia for only half a second before she responded, beating me to the punch. As always. 

I watched Alenia surpass my wildest hopes and grinned softly. Her flame surrounded us like a protective barrier. Somehow I knew that if I attempted to walk through it I would feel no pain. As the invisible barrier began to float away in the wind I heard the surprisingly calm voice of Alenia's younger brothers. 

"Woah! Can we do that?" One of them asked, I had no idea which. They all looked the same to me. I doubted they could, I doubted anyone could do what Alenia could do.

"WHAT DID YOU JUST DO?" Justin yelled, rushing forward and grabbing Alenia by her shirt. I immediately felt rage engulf me- how dare he touch her! I forced depressed emotions onto him. I didn't want him calm, I didn't want him simply sad, I wanted him in as deep of a depression as any living being could possibly be in. I wanted him so hopeless that he was unwilling to even breathe to further his godforsaken life. I wanted, if he escaped, for him to wake up every morning and not even have the will to get up out of bed or feed himself. I wanted the only sense of relief for him to be death, but I wanted him terrified of it so he had to stay alive and suffer. 

I wanted him to suffer just as he had made countless innocents do before him. All of them, I wanted him to suffer the combination of every tear he had made to fall. 

Alenia had done her part, she had destroyed the cage, she had announced that this was happening now.  Now it was my turn, and this abhorrent bug of a man was going to wake up every morning and realize exactly how truly vile he was. If he managed to stay alive, that was.

Justin had fallen to his knees and was sobbing profusely, his entire body shaking. I didn't stop my assault, glaring into him and watching as his emotions destroyed him from the inside out. There was no escape, he should have known better than to hurt my mate.