08:30

C H A P T E R  F O R T Y - S I X

"Taehyung?" Involuntarily, I stood up and bowed my head once I caught a sight of Chaewon's mother. I wore an earnest look as soon as I noticed the dark circles around her eyes. It occurred to me that she must've been worried sick about Chaewon.

"Mrs.Lee, Please let me see your daughter!" I bowed my head again. Instead of a receiving a slap like I thought I would, she pulled me up to stop bowing.

An audible sigh escaped from her lips. "Nice to know Chaewon has you," she threw me a gentle smile before caressing my back. "Make sure she eats the porridge I left her. Now, go in the there, my child." It took me a moment to register her words in my head.

Grinning wider than the Pacific Ocean, I bowed my head once more and swiftly went inside. I slowly shut the door behind me until a click sound was heard.

"E-Eomma?" her voice cracked as she looked over her shoulders temporarily. When I didn't answer, she shifted to the other direction. MY direction, to be precise. As soon as I saw her facing me, I was honestly deprecated to see her, looking pale and weak.

"Pabo," I muttered.

I stared at the porridge next to the bed and decided to sit on the chair beside her. Grabbing the bowl, I took a spoonful before bringing it closer to her mouth.

"Eat."

She shook her head and faced the window, trying to avoid making eye contacts with me. I clenched my teeth and brought the spoon even closer.

"Chaewon, eat." Another head shake and I was running out of patience. "You're never going to get better if you don't eat," sternly I added and brought the tip of the spoon on her lips. She pulled her head away and wiped her mouth in a drowsy way.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled.

"I could go and make you something else if you don't want porridge." I placed the bowl down and abruptly stood up to leave but she instantly grabbed my wrist. I sat back down and felt her hand slowly releasing mine.

"It's not the porridge that's the problem," she paused momentarily and lowered her gaze. "The other day I-- I didn't mean what I said," her voice trailed to a soft end. "You were just trying to help but I pushed you away instead. I'm sorry."

I grabbed her hand and tangled my fingers with my own. I rubbed her forehand using my thumb, feeling the warmest of her touch. "You're a fool, you know that?"

"I know," she faltered. I gently placed my palm on her forehead and pulled it back to my side, taking a dim view of her current state. "I'm really sorry.."

"That's enough Chaewon," I deadpanned. When she let out a cough, I pulled the thick duvet covering her from her shoulders to toes, making sure there were no gaps.

"I'm sorry-- "

"Rest, Chaewon. We'll talk once you get better," I endeavored to leave and give her a breather but, her cold hand seized a hold of my wrist yet again and dug her nails to a certain extent.

I droned and snapped my head at her.

"Taehyung?" Her grip on my wrist tightened as she bit her lower lip. "If--" she paused momentarily and her eyes glistened under the dim light. "-- If I ever leave, would you let me go?"

"Where is this coming from?" I furrowed my eyebrows. I cupped both her cheeks and caressed the side of her face using both thumbs. "I promise you; I'll never let go as long as our love lives."

"You'll keep your promise right?"

I let out a soft chuckle and placed a long kiss on her head before pulling away. "I always keep my promise, baby girl."

.
.
.

# S O T D

❝Now, in order to let go of your hand
I gotta let you know
that I need to let you go
It's hard to say goodbye
but there's no running away from it
I'm ready to let go.❞

- LET GO.