XVI A Shepherd's Gotta Protect His Flock

The room was filled with sounds of sorrow and cries as the poor boy was dragged away to his death. The fire that had broken out within the confines of the living room was now extinguished, but, the thick atmosphere of sorrow still clung to the very walls of the home.

Martha had crawled away, gasping for air desperately as she stared at the fireplace, not blinking once after the incident. She couldn't believe her eyes, what she had just seen nor if what she saw was physically possible, how a jolly treat during this time of year could be created with such a wicked look in its eyes and a malicious laugh with the intent of something sinister. It still echoed in her ears as she tries to regain herself, being comforted by her son and husband.

Howard had tried to control himself, to not recollect all of the events that took place, wishing that he had not seen the event that had happened as the air grew stuffy with the smells of burnt pine and wrapping paper; but, sorrow had a firm grip onto him the second time, even more so than it did with his beloved Lucinda. His son, the next generation to carry on his family legacy, his own flesh and blood, carried up into God knows what lay beyond outside. The guilt had eaten away at him, killing him on the inside more and more as each minute passed; he had blamed himself for the loss of his son and for the loss of another family member. "It's my fault," he breathed, still in shock close to the fireplace. If only he hadn't fallen asleep he would have been more aware of the things that had happened. As a tear escaped from him and slid down his cheek and more accompanied it, he finally cracked under the smallest amount of pressure as his heart broke at the loss of his son.

Sophia stood close to the boarded up window of the living room, watching everyone cower together in reassurance. She had held Kip into the side of her neck hoping that she could give just as much security to the small creature as it did for her.

Even though the small kindred creature took much delight into cuddling his mistress' side he much so wanted to see the grand finale of the boy's death, wanting him to suffer in the hands of his master for partaking into the stolen kiss. When the small boy had kissed her he had no idea of Kip watching with burning hatred in his eyes nor how close he was to shifting just to make the human scream himself.

However, he remained by Sophia at all times.

He knew that this night was coming close to its end and that everyone's lives will be nothing but floating spirits. He could only rub his head further into Sophia's neck as he imagined being home once more with his master and mistress to please.

Omi had feared that this would happen from the beginning, once the storm broke loose the night of the family dinner to this very moment when the boy was taken her suspicions were proven to be correct. History was repeating itself and she feared what lie ahead for everyone in the room, including the poor blue eyed silver haired girl in the corner. She hefted a heartbreaking sigh as she reignited the flames, turning to the family once again, fire poker in hand as she spoke, "Nein, Das ist alles unsere Schuld. Er kommt für uns alle" [No. This is all our fault. He's coming for us all]. She sat with a heavy heart, knowing that everyone may have been clueless at first, but, after her story was told they'd understand.

Hopefully she prayed and that once the truth of him was unveiled they'd come to terms with everything and that there was no escape. But, she could not tell her story in her mothers tongue and, though English was still hard for her to retain she still knew enough to tell her tale. She took in a deep breath and looked up to her son and the remainder of her family.

"Please... Listen."

All eyes and ears turned to Omi as she spoke and Sophia was very keen on listening to every bit of it. She had moved closer to the fire to warm herself a bit more as she listened to Omi tell her tale. How her village wasn't the same as it was during past holidays, everyone had given up hope to the Spirit of giving. After the reign of Hitler, the villages in the hills of Germany were less cheerful as poverty and starvation plagued in each household. She described being so alone when the time of Christmas had come, how the village had given up on the sacrifice of giving and the lights in their hearts had become darker and full of greed.