Chapter 6

Chapter 6

“Again!” I called as the last person finished. The entire team, including me, started another set of sprints across the field and back. I was the first one finished. Nate was the last.

“We will keep doing this until all of you put 100% in!” I yelled, trying to catch my breath.

“Jesus christ what’s up your ass today?!” Nate said loudly.

“Again!” I yelled, and we started running again.

Still, people were practically jogging.

“When I say sprints, it means fucking sprints!” I yelled, mostly at Nate.

“We’ve done this 5 times already I can’t just-”

“AGAIN!”

By the time we were finished again, every inch of my body was on fire and I felt like I was going to pass out.

“Get some water.” I said, walking over to the benches.

“Why so tense today?” Ryan asked as we drank our water. I ignored him.

“You okay?” Dylan asked, walking up to me.

“Just give her space. She gets like this when it’s shark week.” Nate laughed. I spun around to glare at him.

“You can take your fucking annoying comments and get the hell out of my practice!” I said loudly, pointing at him.

Nate just looked at me.

“But-”

“Leave! I don’t want your shit!” I yelled.

“Sam come on-”

“Now.”

Nate glared at me and grabbed his bag, storming off to the locker rooms.

I turned to the team. “Anyone else care to join him?” I asked, almost daringly.

“God I wish coach was here.” Ryan groaned. I chose to ignore that comment and I tossed my water down on my bag.

“On the line!” I called, stretching out my arms.

Everyone groaned.

“Now.” I said loudly.

Everyone lined up on the line and I stood to the side.

“You can do this at a jog but don’t you dare stop. When I blow the whistle once it means go forwards, when I blow it twice, go backwards, when I blow it three times, you can stop.” I said. I blew the whistle once, and took a deep breath.

It was Thursday, and I was dreading going home. My mom was having one of her famous dinner parties, and I had to act like I was a perfect little daughter. But tonight would be different. Sarah, Sadie, and Susan always bring their boyfriends, so tonight, my dad told me to invite Dylan. I just knew that it would be bad. Dylan had first come over for dinner 2 weeks ago, and my parents just loved him. And they’d been really nice to me and the rest of the team recently, but I felt like something bad was going to happen tonight.

By the time I called for them to finish, they were all barely moving.

“Water.” I said, walking back to the benches. Dylan was the first to reach me.

“Tonight will be fine. Stop worrying.” He said softly, picking up his water bottle.

“You don’t understand what their dinners are like.” I said, picking up my own bottle, even though I’d just done no exercise. “My mom goes into hyper crazy mode, and my dad gets mad at everything, and my sisters are bitches and-”