Chapter 30

Chapter 30

“Mom still has been wondering where you’ve been.” Andrew told me, sitting down on the bench next to me in the locker room. 

“I know... I know I’m so sorry I’ve been so busy...” I shook my head. “Between starting physical therapy and school starting, everything has been so chaotic. And I don’t even have any classes with any of the guys on the team.” 

“Yea because you’re all smart and shit. But seriously, come over soon, mom misses you and she’s been even more girly and weird.” Andrew shrugged. 

“Okay, okay, boys everybody take a seat.” Coach said, standing up in the front of the locker room. There was a guy standing behind him that I didn’t recognize, but looked very official. The rest of the coaching staff was standing behind the benches that we were sitting on, watching expectantly. 

Something big was about to happen. 

Dylan said down on my left, his leg resting against mine. I smiled and nudged his foot. 

“First of all, congratulations to Sam, you look great without the sling thing.” Coach said, pointing at me. 

I laughed as Dylan gave my good shoulder a soft shake. 

“We’ll be looking forward to seeing you on the field this Friday right?” Coach laughed, raising his eyebrows. 

“Yea, I wish.” I shook my head. “Still got 3 more months.” 

It had been a month since I was shot, there was no way I would be playing anytime soon.

“Alright, now I’ve got a little bit of an announcement.” Coach said, running his hand through his hair. “Now first of all, I want all of you to know that this team means the world to me, and that all of you will always hold a special place in my heart.” 

Andrew and I looked at each other. “Do you know what this is about?” I whispered. 

Andrew shook his head. “You?” 

I shook my head. 

We both looked back at Coach. 

“But I’m afraid to say that I’m going to be stepping down from my position as head coach.” Coach said, closing his eyes as everybody in the room started talking. 

Andrew and I looked at each other again with wide eyes. 

“What the fuck.” We both said at the same time. 

“Boys, boys, quiet down.” Coach said loudly over us. 

The locker room grew quiet. But it wasn’t a respect quiet, it was a hurt, upset quiet. 

“Listen, there’s some personal stuff going on right now and I just don’t have the time. But I promise you, Coach Parker is very capable with you lot.” Coach said, turning to the man standing behind him. “I will still be here as a QB coach, and yes, I know it’s my son that I’ll be coaching, but that just makes it easier on everybody. I’ll be at all of the practices, and I’ll still be here if any of you need anything.” 

Coach Parker stepped forwards, a smile on his face. 

“Thanks Tyler.” He smiled. “Hi guys, I’m Coach Parker, like he just said.” 

Andrew and I exchanged looks, both of us shaking our heads. 

“But hey, let’s all wish the guy good luck with the new baby.” Coach Parker laughed. 

“What?!” Andrew and I both exclaimed in shock. “You’re having a baby?! Are you insane?!” 

It was weird how we both said the same thing at the exact same time, but I don’t think either of us were bothered by it at the time.