Chapter 21

Chapter 21

“Hey Samantha! You coming?” Someone called, running into my room. 

I looked up in shock as Annabelle and Jessica came into my room, way beyond excited. 

“Uh, coming to what?” I raised my eyebrows, sitting up in bed. I’d been doing the usual, laying in bed, eating popcorn, watching old game tape. 

I was met with shocked, annoyed expressions by the two people I call my best friends now. 

“The pool party, idiot! Caleb’s throwing it.” Jessica frowned, crossing her arms. 

My eyes widened. 

“You forgot, didn’t you!” Annabelle said exasperatedly. “Dammit girl, do you have brains up there?” 

Both of them gave me a look, and I quickly jumped up from the bed, brushing crumbs off of my shirt. 

“Give me two seconds!” I promised, running into my closet. 

I stripped off my pajamas and pulled on a simple turquoise bikini top and black bottoms, then pulled a little sundress over the top. Sundress, gross, I know. But apparently it’s what you had to wear if you’re going to a rich pool party. 

“What is this even for?” I called as I ran a brush through my hair, still straightened from an event last night. 

“Oh the football team throws one every year in July to celebrate the beginning of the season. They’ve got straight conditioning for two weeks after this, so this is like, commemorating their small, precious free time at the beginning of summer.” Annabelle explained as I walked out of my closet. 

“That’s lame.” I shook my head, pulling sandals on my feet. “What kind of football team takes a break anyways?” I rolled my eyes, stumbling a bit as I hopped around to get the loop of the shoe over my heel. 

“Okay miss National Champion Quarterback. Not everyone can be as dedicated as you.” Jessica rolled her eyes. 

I stuck my tongue out at her. 

“If you’re so into football, why didn’t you try out for the school team?” Annabelle questioned as I grabbed a purse from my dresser. 

“Because my dad wouldn’t let me. He doesn’t trust anybody with me except my old team. And I don’t either really. I mean, I played with those guys for over 3 years, it’s highly unlikely a new team will easily take to me.” I shook my head, following them out of my room. 

My dad was just walking past, in an intense looking conversation with one of his staff members. 

“Oh! Sam!” My dad said suddenly. “Are you packed yet?” 

“Packed?” I furrowed my eyebrows, tilting my head a bit. 

“For Birmingham? It’s Rob and Kate’s oldest boy’s wedding this weekend. We’re leaving tomorrow.” My dad told me. 

“Oh right! That! Yea I’ll just pack later this evening.” I grinned, excitement bubbling up in me. “Ooh Adam and Josie are lucky, the president will be at their wedding.” I giggled. 

My dad teasingly rolled his eyes. “Be home by 6, we’re having dinner as a family tonight.” 

“Bye dad!” I called over my shoulder. 

All I could think about on the way to the pool party was how excited I was for the wedding this weekend. I’d been in DC since early January, so 6 months now. I’d talked on the phone occasionally with various people from the team, and I know that tensions were still thick between the players and coach, considering he’d just walked out on us at Nationals. Bitch.