Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I was already out on the field when the rest of the guys came out, so the new kid had yet to see that I was a girl. I’m not even sure what his name was.

“Sam, this is Dylan.” Luke said, patting a guy’s back.

“Hi.” I said absentmindedly, shaking his hand. I felt an electric current run up my arm, and my stomach flipped. I yanked my hand back quickly.

“What’s your last name?” I asked quickly, my heart beating quickly.

“Peters.” He said.

“You’re Sam right? I’ve seen lots about you.” Dylan said. I nodded. “How come you’re never in front of other people though? Don’t you always skip the banquets and stuff?”

I shrugged. “I have my reasons.” I mumbled. “Team, on the line.” I said.

Everyone groaned. “Dylan, you don’t have to do this. They were being rude yesterday so this is there punishment.” I said, grabbing the stop watch. “When I blow the whistle once, you run forwards, when I blow it twice, you run backwards, when I blow it three times, you stop. No slackers or we’re running extra.”

“Oh look at Sam being all mighty.” Nate teased.

I ignored that comment and blew the whistle. Dylan and I had a nice conversation while the guys were running. Of course our conversation was cut off by whistles from me, but I still learned a lot about him. He moved to Michigan from Colorado because his dad got transferred. He’s been playing football since he could walk. And we had lots of things in common. But I didn’t let on how excited I was. Our favorite color was green, favorite food was pizza with bacon, ham, red peppers, and mushrooms. We both liked the Harry Potter movies, and we both supported U of M, which was a major turn on.

I looked out at the field, to find everyone stopped.

“Oi! Why aren’t you running?!” I yelled.

“We got to the end!” Luke called.

“Just get some water.” I said, picking up my own water bottle.

Practice was really fun, and Dylan fit in really well.

In the locker room, I always get the back section to myself, but it doesn’t stop everyone, including me, from walking around in half clothing.

I was the only one left in a helmet when we got into the locker room.

“My mom’s going to fucking kill me.” I laughed, following the boys into the locker room.

“Oh yea you’ve got to go get all pretty.” Luke joked.

I shot him a glare. “Fuck off.” I laughed.

Dylan gave us weird looks.

“Is Susan gonna be there?” Matt asked.

“Of course she is she’s my sister.” I said, crossing my arms. “Why do you ask?”

“Nothing you guys just had quite the yelling match the other day and I feel bad for whoever has to be stuck in a limo with you two.” Matt laughed. I rolled my eyes and turned to go change.

“Sorry.” I mumbled, stepping around Dylan.

“No problem.” He smiled.

“Holy shit my feet are going to kill after tonight.” I sighed, going to pull me helmet off of my head. I suddenly felt someones arms around my head, holding my helmet in place.

“Nate...” I groaned.

“Wait. Dylan, you just met Sam today, right?” Nate asked.

“Yea.” Dylan nodded, giving Nate a weird look.