Chapter 31

Chapter 31

“So! A baby.” Andrew said, rubbing his hands over his knees. 

Marissa and coach exchanged glances. 

“Yes! Yea, we uh, we were going to tell you, but um, uh, well.” Marissa said softly, squeezing Coach’s hands. 

An awkward silence spread around the living room. Andrew met my gaze and I gave him a soft smile. 

“Well congratulations!” I said, forcing a smile on my face. “Seriously this is great news! Babies are... I love babies.” 

“Pushing it.” Andrew whispered to me. 

I stomped on his foot. 

“Congrats.” I said softly. 

“Where will it live?” Andrew asked. 

“Uh, well, it’s a she. And she will live here, with us.” Coach said. 

“We have two bedrooms.” Andrew raised his eyebrows. “And I’m in that one.” 

“Yes, yes well you’re going to college next year, and we can manage for a few months with Lorraine in our room.” Marissa explained. 

“Lorraine? You named it already?” I asked. 

“She is not an it!” Marissa exclaimed. She took a deep breath, composing herself. “Yes, we’ve already chosen a name for her.” Marissa nodded. 

“Well, uh, that’s cool.” I said softly. 

“And we’re not going to surprise you with babysitting requirements or anything, but just know that you’re welcome to spend time with her whenever you want. We want Lorraine to have a wonderful, loving family, but that means that some things are going to have to change. Obviously of course your father is stepping down from Head Coach, and I’m going to be taking some time off of work, and Andrew this applies to you mostly because you live here, but you’re going to have to help pitch in with the chores.” Marissa said softly. 

I rubbed my palms over my knees, looking down at the ground. 

“And both of you respect your mother in the next few months to come, having a little kid is not easy, but we’re going to do it 100% right this time.” Coach added.

I stood up from the couch. “Yea, wonderful, you’re going to have your little baby girl and be a happy little family.” I said, picking up my football bag from the ground. “Just wonderful.” 

“Hey Sam get back here!” Coach said, standing up. 

I ignored him as I walked towards the front door. 

“Carson!” I heard him yell as I slammed the door shut behind me. 

“Hey! Hey Carson get back in here!” Coach yelled, walking out of the front door after me. 

“Why?!” I yelled. “Why?!” 

“Because this is your family!” 

“No it’s not! No this isn’t my family! A family is people who stick together no matter what but it seems like every time it suits you, you just leave! You left me when I was four, both of you did! You chose Andrew over me! And now he’s living with you and I’m stuck in a damn garage and now you’re ditching out on the entire team for a stupid baby!” I yelled, walking away from him. 

“Where are you going? You didn’t drive here!” Coach exclaimed. 

“I’ll walk!” I yelled over my shoulder, heading off down the road.