8: To The (Lack of) Explanation!

You remained silent. It was your and Marshall Lee's problem. You didn't want to make this Prince Bubba Gumball's problem as well.

"Then, rescind it." You looked away from him, knowing that he was begging you to open up. To let him know what the vampire had done to you.

"Why?" He leaned his head back onto your shoulder. "Why are you still protecting him?"

"Because I care for you." You tried to leave it at that.

"That's idiotic. Honestly. You're pushing me away and you know it." He closed his eyes. "Don't make me follow through. I don't want to be the bad guy to you. Can't you give me anything? Any reason to let you see me again?"

You wrapped your arms, legs and tail around his body. For a few minutes, you just sat in silence.

"We had different ideas about the future. He was ready and I was not." You finally admitted.

"Why would that make you scared of him?" He stroked your fluffy tail, which you used to tickle his nose.

"I gave you reason. Don't ask for more."

"Fine. You gave me the absolute bare minimum, so I won't kick you out. But YN..." He pulled himself away from you and gave you a serious look. 

"Yes?"

"Don't come back here with Fiona again. You put me in such a compromising position. I really do like her." He rubbed the back of his head. "And she's... more mortal. If we had a relationship, it wouldn't last like ours would. You and I will always be here."

"You don't know that."

"We've been here this long." He sighed and looked away. "What I'm saying is... Please don't interfere with me developing a relationship with her. I still care for you deeply. I still care for Marshall Lee, although I also hate him a bit. Being with her is so refreshing. And I need that break. So..."

"You don't have to break me up again. It was just moment of fun; no more." You shrugged.

Gumball chuckled.

"Break up with you. And you're right, I'm sorry for being so serious. You're older than me; you're even better at it than me. Even if you don't sound like it."

You smacked his head and he laughed a genuine laugh.

"See? What's another sixty years of this? Of just being friends?"

"Nothing, really. Just like a night's sleep." You smiled at him and gave him a kiss. "So good night, Bubble. See you at morning."

And with that you stood up and began walking out; beginning to lick your fur to remove the oil.

"See you in the morning, YN. And make sure you take the secret tunnel." He smiled a crooked smile as you closed the door behind you.

It took you a few minutes to get to this tunnel, but once you were there, you took a moment to sit and clean your body. You really didn't like the oil on your fur, but you hated gum on it even more. Cleaning yourself also gave you a chance to reflect.

Has it really been three hundred years since that night? It's been as long as our relationship was... Am I really still scared of him? Or just scared to talk to him? You thought as you licked your tail. I better apologize to Fiona and Cake. Unbelievably rude of me to ruin her day with Gumball. And I need to brush up on my conversation skills. I sound like I did six hundred years ago... when I first met Marshall Lee...