26: To The Safe Place

You put a hard frown on your face.

"Bubble is being mean." Your lip twitched.

"Well sor-ry." He noted with another eye roll. "Where'd you take Fionna last week?"

"Fire Kingdom."

"And what happened?"

"She met your flame boy."

"And?" He pushed, irritated.

"She kiss and say yes to dating the Flame Prince." You admitted freely. "So?"

"You knew I wanted to date her." His nostrils flared. "Just get out. I thought you'd at least tell me that you tried to stop her. But I guess we aren't that great of friends. In fact, I think I just pity you, for how pathetic your life is compared to mine. Poor YN."

"Get... Out?"

"Yeah, go get bit or something." He spewed.

And tears fell down your face.

"I... I will." And with that, you ran away on all fours. Through Candy Kingdom, through the woods, past Fionna's house and beyond the forest behind that. Through the cave and underneath the porch where it was warm and you could hear the gently thumping of a guitar in the the warm evening air.

You cried hoarsely, having difficulty with the fact that foxes didn't cry but humans could. The guitar paused for a minute, and then switched tunes.

"I hear tears fallin', some pretty girl's bawlin' and I can't help but wonder what to do. I don't wanna scare her, if that's the lady with red fur, but I can't help but worry about you." He sung to you loudly, ensuring you could hear.

"Mawshee, Mawshee, Mawshee, Mawshee, it's been too long." You sung through your tears. "I've missed your cold kisses and missed singing your songs. Can't you come get me, I'm oh~ so~ lone~ly~. Mawshee, Mawshee, I know you're where I belong." And maybe you were nervous being here, and nervous that he might bite you and even more worried about what he would do when he saw you, but you felt so betrayed by Gumball and so reassured that Marshall Lee had been brave enough to admit what he had done that you just wanted some affection.

As the tunes stopped and the door opened, you curled up tightly in a ball. Marshall Lee then appeared underneath the porch. Instead of inviting you out however, he simply crawled under porch with you, not touching you, but looking at you kindly.

"Mawshee..." You cried as you looked up at him. "H-h-hold me."

You were immediately pulled close to the cold man. No heart beat was present, but the pressure his arms provided was comforting.

"Good little girl, always trying to hide from me. I know I messed up, but tears from you I just can't see. What do you want from my world, you good little girl? I missed you more than you can believe." He sung your special little ditty with the lyrics changed. His fingers ran through your fur as he blew the cobwebs out of his face.

"D-Don't bite me, Mawshee." You cried once again.

He pulled your head underneath his chin.

"No, YN. No... I learned. I grew up. I'm different." He took the opportunity to kiss your head. "I promise. I will never hurt you."