Chapter 3: Variants and Miis

Sounds of shouts, moans, groans, and slashing filled the hallway.

"Haa-!" (Lucas)

I beheaded another one as I charged and started to ponder.

I'm a zombie. Well, at least this body of mine is a zombie. Yet, I don't eat brains, nor do I feel the need to eat normal food...is it because I'm not mindless like the others?

There's also another strange thing...that, even though I'm a zombie, zombies attack me.

I should be a zombie, yet, these so called 'mindless' zombies actually know that I'm different? Well, I was the one who attacked first but did they understood from that, that I'm different?

I already tested it and didn't attack first but I was still attacked. Were they more intelligent than I thought or is there someone secretly controlling these zombies?

In [Harus], Necromancers can control the undead. Is it the same here?...Could it be, I'm not the only otherworlder here?

Anyway, there's no doubt that they can recognize me as an 'enemy' and that means I can't sneak up on them and kill them easily so I had to use a bit effort.

Unlike some zombie movies or novels I read, these zombies can see, hear, and smell. In some zombie fictions, the zombies can only see or can only hear or can only smell. There was even one where they can only 'see' the healthy ones and not the infected ones but that is definitely not the case here as they can see me.

The zombies here have weird variations. Some skin are tougher than normal, while some are as normal as they can be. I wonder why?

I haven't seen any visible differences but there are indeed some who have tougher skin based from the slashes I made.

Some slashes need a bit more effort to give some damage while some only has a bit resistance.

Do their skins get tougher the more they eat? But I have no way of confirming that...hm?

Just then, I spotted a zombie in the corner of my eyes eating something. Because there was a glint of shine, it grabbed my attention and looking closely, the zombie isn't eating human flesh, but...a door knob?

Uhh...it's deformed now but that's definitely a door knob...So they don't only eat people, they can eat metallic things too? I wonder if wood is also fine?

I observed the zombie for a while but then it noticed me so it dropped the half-eaten door knob and charged towards me.

I sighed and quickly beheaded the zombie.

"Hm?" (Lucas)

Frowning, I noticed this zombie's skin is a bit harder than normal...could it be? Because he ate the metallic door knob?

As I started to think about it, another zombie caught my eye.

This one...this one is clearly different from the rest!

Both its arms are covered in thick metal chunks and its fingers looked like sharp blades! His entire body is also colored grey with a bit metallic luster on it!

This...I know that in most zombie fictions, there are always some variant zombies that are a rank higher than the rest but I always thought that if a zombie apocalypse were to happen in real life, there won't be such a thing. Now, I'm proven to be clearly wrong!

I need to kill this zombie before it grows even more stronger!

I rushed towards that zombie and shot out my divine sense to cover that zombie.