Chapter 19.

Do you remember when I surprised you and the cat?

We had moved into our new house with the big garden three months ago, and although you were allowing the cat meat off the barbecue I knew you were missing the dog and although we could never replace him, I just had to do something.

Our first year wedding anniversary had passed two weeks ago and I brought you a new toolbox for work, you said it was great and amazing as you brought me an engraved pen our wedding date along the side of it.

I sneaked out one day when we were hosting a family dinner and came back half an hour later with a gift for you, telling you it was a late anniversary gift, you looked all confused at the big box with holes in the top of it.

Then it barked and you rushed to open it.

Inside was a saint bernard puppy, the same rescue that we got our pets from had a pregnant saint bernard come in nine weeks before, a post had come up on my facebook and I knew it was your favourite breed of dog having had a discussion about it when we first talked about getting a pet, I had told you they were way too big to be living in an apartment and we would think about it if we ever got to own our house with a big enough garden.

You had cried in front of everyone as you thanked me while trying to hug not only the puppy but me as well, that night when everyone left we took the puppy out of the makeshift playpen and allowed the cat to meet him.

For about a week I thought I was going to have to give the puppy back as he got too excited about the cat, finally the two of them grew to get on and I could see the relief in your eyes when you came home from work one day to find the cat grooming the dog as he tried his hardest not to lick the cat back.