I Need to Get Away

• Dedicated to Caitlin Gemmi

“Hey guys…” It was just Kristie.  “I’m going out with Jeff tonight, and Caitlin and Maureen are coming with us. So you don’t have to worry about them.  Do whatever you want.” Her voice was cold, and she trailed off.  Kristie flashed a small, half smile then walked out of the room, and shut the door behind her.  Alex and I looked at each other, and I lifted myself off the floor.  I held out a hand for Alex, and he took it, using my strength to help him rise.

Jeff, and the two girls were already in my living room when Alex and I came out of my room.  Maureen rolled her eyes at my presence, and I snorted.  Alex laughed too, noticing her absurdness.

Caitlin rose, and walked over to me, her arms wide open and welcoming. “Welcome home! How was seeing your family?” She asked and I smiled.

“My family… they were happy to see me—“

Maureen cut me off, “Yeah, she was probably really happy when she was sleeping around with superstars.” She laughed and I tried to ignore her. I really tried, but she just kept going.  “He probably just wanted you because he thought that you were hot.” She put a lot of unnecessary emphasis on the word thought.

“Excuse me—“ I knew that it wasn’t true.

“Dan thought that you were easy, and you bought it.” Maureen snarked, then walked out the front door.  I was speechless.  What the hell is going on? I thought as she walked out.  

“That’s not true, that couldn’t be farther from the truth,” I was sobbing.  My fists were clenched so tight that my knuckles had turned white.  Alex put his arm around my shoulder, and rubbed the part of my arm where his hand had fallen.  Caitlin’s mouth hung open at what her friend had just said to me.  No one tried to stop her, we were all in shock.  

“Cam—“ Jeff came up to me, and tried to hug me, but I moved away.  I took a step closer to Alex, and held on for dear life.  

Kristie stood up, and threw her purse over her shoulder. “Jeff, we better go or we’ll be late for our reservation.”  She had changed into a royal blue dress, with a pair of nude heels.  Jeff gave me a caring look, I knew that what he meant by that look was ‘call me later if you need anything’.  He gave me that look before, with different events; like when my grand father died, or when Nick and I broke up. 

“I should go to,” Caitlin stood up again, and gave me another hug.  She was wearing a pair of light wash jeans and a pair of black vans with one of the t-shirts that the cast received at our last performance of our latest production of ‘Les Misérables’.  I smiled at her, as a way of saying thank you.  She smiled back, then turned and followed Kristie and Jeff.  

Alex and I were the only ones left in the apartment.  It was four hours until we needed to meet Dan’s friends.  They weren’t going to be thrilled that I was arriving with a boy, but I didn’t care.  I decided that I should go shower before leaving, so I went to go do that.

I changed into a pair of dark wash skinny jeans, with a white tank top that read ‘Rebel’ and a picture of John Bender from “The Breakfast Club” on it.  I slipped on my mint coloured Vans, and grabbed my wallet out of my purse.  I didn’t want to carry the whole purse around with me all night.  I came out of the room, and Alex gasped. “What?” I laughed and Alex sat there in awe.  “Okay, I wear this outfit so much.  I thought you’d be used to this by now.” I snorted, and he just smiled at me.  He straightened his brown hair, and swept it to the side.  His deep brown eyes always sparkled, no matter what kind of light he was in.  I sat next to him on the sofa, as we tried to watch a documentary about Panda Bears.  It was difficult to get through, so we decided to turn it off, and go down to town and walk around until it was time for the concert.