Chapter one

I stood in front of my seat while they lowered my father into the ground. I knew that if he was here he'd tell me not to cry, but I couldn't help it. He was all I had. My mother had run out on us when I was only two, I don't even remember what she looked like, although my dad tells me I'm the spitting image of my mother. He says that she had the same pale skin and dark hair, but I get my icy blue eyes from my father. My uncles approached me shortly after the funeral was over. I was going to live with them for a little while. Sodapop used to be married but she left him. He never said why. And uncle Ponyboy had a few serious girlfriends but never got to the whole marriage part.

"Come on Dallas, let's take you home." Sodapop said gently pulling me into a hug. I walked with my heels in my hand and my head on Sodapop the whole way home. It wasn't that far.

"This is it. Sorry it isn't as big as you're used to." Ponyboy said ashamed of the small broken home he presented me with.

"Don't worry it's okay." Back home dad and I had quite a bit of money. When I was younger my dad invited a machine that helped roof houses, it became really popular and made us decently rich. My father always offered his younger brothers money, but they never would let us help them out.

"Hey!" Some man screamed as he jumped through the door. "This must be her! How are ya little lady?" The loud man hugged me violently. I was still startled from my dad's funeral, and the fact that I had no idea who this was.

"Dallas, this is Two-bit." Sodapop introduced me and I smiled and shook the mans hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you two..." I stuttered because I was just now realizing that Sodapop said two-bit. What the hell was a two-bit?

"It's me. Two-bit Mathews." I stood confused as if I was suppose to know him personally or just through story. I had never heard this mad name before.

"I'm sorry I don't believe we've met sir." I stated.

He glanced at Ponyboy and then at Soda and then back to me. "You're trying to tell me your father never once said my name?"

I shook my head slowly. I could tell he was shocked and insulted but I wasn't quite sure why.

"Dallas are you serious?" Sodapop asked.

"I'm sorry, but yes I'm serious. I have never heard of you." I apologized.

"What about the name Steve?" Soda asked anxiously. I shook my head and their eyes grew even more confused.

"What about Johnny Cade?" Ponyboy asked and the boys winced slightly at this name. Another name I did not recognize. I shook my head again and then it's like something hit them all at the same time.

"Dallas, did your father tell you why he named to Dallas?" Ponyboy asked almost afraid to hear the answer.

"Yes." I answered and a small amount of relief rushed over their faces. "That's where my mother was born. Dallas, Texas." I explained.
They glanced at each other and Two-bit's mouth fell open.

"Do you know who Dallas Winston is?" He asked.

"No I'm sorry I don't believe I do."

"Your father didn't name you after your mother's hometown. Your mother was born here in Tulsa."

"I don't understand." I stated.

"Your dad named you after a part of our gang-" Soda began to explain but I cut him off.

"Gang?" I laughed. "What gang? Daddy was never involved in a gang?" I exclaimed.

"Your damn brother raised a soc." Two-bit responded, but to my uncles, not me.

"You know your father was a greaser right?" Sodapop asked hesitantly.

"That's a joke right?" I kept laughing. The thought of my father being a grease was uncanny. I couldn't stand greases.

"I'll be damned. Your brother raised a class A social, but named her after the baddest grease in Tulsa history." Two-bit said in shock.

At this time I was discovering that they weren't joking. It made sense why this house was so run down. They were poor as hell.

"Who?" I asked.

"Winston. Dallas Winston."