Chapter two

"Tell me everything." I commanded. "I want to know what my father never told me." I pleaded to my uncles. They both glanced at each other.

"You want to tell the story Soda?"

"No, you're better at that than I am, Ponyboy."

Ponyboy sat beside me on the couch. "I don't know where to start Dallas." He looked at his feet.

"Start where you feel everything changed. The morning that everything changed." I begged. He nodded and then looked at me.

"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house.." Ponyboy began. He then proceeded to tell me everything. Every detail and absorbed every bit of information I could. I learned about the Socs and their rivalry with the greasers. I learned about Johnny and how my dad hit Ponyboy that night. I learned about the murder of Bob Sheldon and how Dally Winston helped them escape. He told me about the fire and about where Dallas was shot. That part of the story sent chills up and down my spine.

"Why'd he name me after Dallas?" I asked when the story was over.

"That's something you're going to have to find out on your own." Sodapop picked up a piece of paper. It was folded into three equal sections, I knew before I opened it that it was from my father. He always folded letters like that.

I snatched it and opened the sealed letter, informing me Sodapop hadn't read it yet.

Dallas Jay Curtis,

I'm sure you're confused. I told your uncle t give you this after Ponyboy told you the story. He wasn't sure what story I meant, but I knew that when the time came he would understand. This may seem strange baby girl, I'm sorry I never told you about Johnny and Dallas and the rest of the gang. Our lives in Texas are just so different from my life before. I know your hard headed nature, so I know that you're going to be determined to figure out why I named you Dallas. I can't tell you that. And if you're reading this, than it's too late for me to tell you anyways. You just figure it out. I know you can. The answer is there, in Tulsa. When you find yourself, you'll find the answer. I love you Dallas Jay. Always will.

-Dad

There were tears flowing onto the paper by the time I finished. I folded it back up and and set it down. I wiped the tears from my face.

"Do you know why?" I asked in a sharp and bitter tone. "Do you know why he named me after that juvenile delinquent?" I spat.

"No, we never knew why. He never would tell us either. I promise we don't know." Sodapop answered and they all agreed. I nodded and then picked up my suitcase. And carried it to my room. I changed into my floral skirt and blouse. When I was walking by the mirror I stopped for a second and thought about the story my uncle had told me. Dad was a grease. I thought. He hated the socials. And from what I knew in this town, I was a soc. I opened my suit case and found the only black t-shirt I had. I usually just slept in it. I pulled out a pair of jeans as well. I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut holes in the knee of the jeans. I then cut the t-shirt into a crop told and slipped on my knee outfit. I nearly cringed at my reflection. But then realized how much I liked it. I felt like me in this. I threw my hair into a ponytail and walked out of my room.

"New look?" Sodapop asked stunned.

"He said I needed to find myself." I explained as I approached the door. "I don't think I was meant to find myself in a skirt and tank top." And with that I was out the door. Ready to see what Tulsa Oklahoma had to offer.