Chapter four

"Hey y'all." I said entering the house. I stopped hesitantly when a new face turned to mine. He was close to my my father and my uncle's age and he was fairly attractive.

"Dallas." He said and grinned slightly.

I was beginning to get used to everyone knowing me, although it seemed like I didn't know anyone.

"Hi." I stuck my hand out and shook his.

" I stuck my hand out and shook his

"I'm Steve. Steve-"

"Randle!" I interrupted. He chuckled lightly.

"Yes, I'm guessing your uncles over here told you about me. They caught me up as well. According to them your old man never mentioned me huh?" He asked slightly upset about the manner. I understand why after hearing Ponyboy's story. They were like family.

"I wouldn't take it personal. He hid a lot about his past, I just don't know why." I responded attempting to ease the pain. He smiled at me and nodded.

"You don't look much like Darrel huh?"

"He said I'm the spitting image of my mom. I have his eyes though." I was proud of my icy blue eyes. They were all I got from my dad it seemed. My dad didn't act a like either. I was very much so a city girl. I loved upscale events and went to brunch at least a couple times a month. I enjoyed Texas, but it was definitely not my cup of tea. I would fit in more in New York.

"Never got to meet her." He responded. My face saddened. I met my mom, but I couldn't remember her. It bothered me every second of every day. Sometimes I would have dreams where my mom would come talk to me, but she just looked like me. I couldn't actually picture her.

"Would you like to eat in town or would you like us to cook something Dallas? You've had a hard day." Sodapop asked kindly.

"I'd like to stay in tonight if that's okay with you." I replied. He nodded and grinned at me.

"I'm going to go freshen up a little before dinner. I trust that you will be staying to join us?" I asked Steve and for some reason he chuckled at my invite.

"You sure don't talk like your dad either huh? You're all polite and proper." Steve laughed. Ponyboy and Sodapop chuckled as well. I was slightly upset at this. I didn't want to be nothing like my dad. Sometimes I wondered if my eyes were all he passed down to me.

"I guess not." I responded with a fake smile. "I'll be back soon." I said while walking to my room to get clothes before I showered. After the shower, I got out and changed into a sweater and leggings. I walked back into my room and began brushing my long dark hair. I sat there slightly for a second.

Don't cry.

Don't cry.

But I cried. Because I missed my father. Because I needed him and didn't have him. Because I missed Texas and my friends. But mostly because he was gone. And I wanted nothing more than to be able to see him. I see pieces of him in my uncles. The way Ponyboy walks and the way Sodapop laughs. I saw him when I was walking around Tulsa. I needed to know more. I needed to solve my dad's mystery. I was determined. I set the hairbrush down and saw the copy of Gone With the Wind. I remembered how Ponyboy and the kid Johnny read this when they were in the church. I turned over the video case and noticed writing on it. I looked closer and saw that what appeared to be black sharpie.

Who are you

I read it twice to make sure I had read it right. Who are you? I questioned. I wonder if the cute boy from the store had written this. Or maybe a previous viewer. I decided I would ask him tomorrow.

I walked into the dinning room shortly after and helped set the table.

"Dallas, we don't each need two forks. We're just having soup. A spoon will be fine." Ponyboy said. I looked down at the perfectly placed setting I had created.

"I guess I'm still not used to this." I realized giggling. Although I did live my high class lifestyle, I was really appreciating how laid back things were around here.

"This soup is outstanding!" I exclaimed after the first bite. "How did you make this?"

"I bought it. It's just canned soup." Sodapop answered.

"I've never had canned soup before." I took another bite. I couldn't believe how great it was. This lifestyle was even better than I thought.

"So tell us about yourself little Curtis." Steve requested.

"Well I plan on going to college and becoming an English major. I adore literature. I was in theatre in high school. I graduated third in my class. And I would like to move to the city after college."

"City? Like New York?" Steve asked.

"Yeah."

"Hey, just like the other Dallas. Your dad ever call you Dally?" Steve asked. And that simple question took me back to a complicated memory.

"Where the hell have you been?" My father yelled at me the day after my 16th birthday.

"I was out with Nikki and Mikey." I responded with an exceptionally bitter tone.

"It's 1:00 am Dallas! You know you're not allowed out this late!" He followed me into my room while I pretended he didn't exist.

"Dallas! Don't you walk away from me!"

"What are you going to do? Huh? Are you gonna take my friends away? Take my privileges away? Take my mother away? Oh wait a minute. She's already gone. If I were her I would have left you too!" I screamed while I slammed the door.

"That's enough Dally! That's enough! When are you going to grow up and realize life isn't perfect Dally!? Stop hating the world so much!" He screamed.

At the time I was confused. Looking back now I realize that message wasn't made for me, it was made for Dally Winston.

"No." I lied with a kind smile.