Chapter five

Days had past and I hadn't gotten anywhere. Why did you name me after this guy? I wondered to myself. From what my uncles had informed me, my father and him weren't the best of friends. My dad loved Dallas, but they agreed it was strange that he named me after him. I think they wanted to solve the mystery as much as me.

"I'm going out. I'll be back for lunch." I slid in my jacket and started walking outside.

"Be careful!" Sodapop yelled after me.

I walked down toward the movie store to return Gone With the Wind. It was a nice movie, but not the greatest.

"Hello?" I asked while I entered the mundane building. "Is anyone here?" I called out.

"Yes." A quiet voice called as the familiar boy entered from the back room.

"How did you know my name?" I asked without waiting any time.

"Small side of town. My parents used to know your dad." He answered in an honest and kind voice. I wasn't sure why but I trusted him.

"What's your name? It's only fair since you already know mine."

"Jay." Was all he said. My face showed pore shock immediately which must have startled him partially.

"That's my middle name! Is it short for anything?"

"No, my mom's name was Jane so she just decided to name me Jay. My dad didn't really care what my name was I guess." He laughed and I giggled along with him. He was charming. Very charming.

"Well Jay, I'm returning this." I said handing him the movie.

"Did ya like it alright?" He asked with his attractive southern accent.

"It was alright. Not my type of movie though."

He nodded in understanding. "You like Tulsa?"

"I miss my home. Not as much as I miss my father." It got quiet.

"Your dad was a great man." He said in all seriousness.

"Did you know him? I thought you said your parents did?"

"I knew him through stories." I nodded.

"Where your parents part of the gang my father was in?" He smiled and chuckled lightly, although I wasn't sure why.

"No, just knew him."

"How old are you?"

"Sixteen. You?" He asked in return.

"Eighteen." I responded.

He smiled at me and for a moment just starred.

"What?"

"You're pretty, Dallas." He said not breaking his stare.

"You aren't too hard in the eyes yourself Jay." He was standing behind the counter and I was leaning closer to him. Silence broke into the room again and we didn't mind it at all. I say him glance down at my lips and back to my eyes.

"You want to grab lunch tomorrow?" I asked.

"Sure."

"You can come by my place-"

"No." He interrupted. "Sorry it's just, there's these guys that live near your place and they an I don't get along real well."

"That's fine. We can meet at Katie's. The little restaurant on 5th street?" I asked.

"Yeah that sounds great."

"I'll see you around Jay." I left and was met by a puff of smoke blown in my face.

"Excuse you." I said not looking at the person who caused my coughing.

"Sorry bout that." A familiar voice called.

I turned and saw the same boy that had been outside the food market the other day. "Hey wait a second." I called once he turned to walk away.

"What's your name?" I asked once he stopped. I walked next to him.

"Tuck." He took a long drag of his cigarette.

"I'm Dallas." I greeted. He smirked at me.

"Nice name." He said blowing out a puff of smoke. He was really dangerous looking. His dark hair was similar to mine, just darker. Nearly black. He also had the same icy blue eyes my father and I had. He could have been my brother.

"How old are you Tuck?" I asked breaking the silence that had fallen onto us.

"17 years young man, you?"

"18."

"You ain't from here are you?" He asked while throwing his cigarette on the ground.

"No, I'm from Texas. You aren't either. Your accent is different."

"I'm from up North."

I nodded in understanding. "Where ya headed Dallas?" He asked.

"My house." I responded. "Walk me home?" I asked.

He stopped and starred at me. Not in the romantic way Jay had done, but in a disapproving way.

"You don't even know me. You really gonna let a strange boy walk you home?" I looked at him. I thought about it but I knew for some reason that I could trust Tuck.

"I trust you." We started walking again.

"Why's that?" He asked once we approached my gate. I stopped and looked at him.

"I'm not really sure."

"Maybe you got some stuff to figure out then huh?" He asked and I smiled and then I turned and started walking through the gate leaving Tuck behind.

"Wait what?" I asked remembering my quest here in the first place. To figure out my name. To figure me out. But when I turned around he was gone. He was a mysterious boy. That's for sure.