Chapter twelve

"Hey." I called when I walked through the door. "Look what I got!" I cried excited about the annual.

"Maybe Sylvia and then are in here. Plus I wanted to see if I looked more like my dad when he was my age." They laughed and we all sat in the living room skimming through it. Two-bit and Steve were here as well and Two-bit liked to stop on every page and tell a story.

"I'm going to make some coffee. Does anyone want anything?" I asked getting up.

They all said no and I walked to the kitchen. I decided that making coffee would take too long so I settled for some sweet tea instead. There was already some unsweet tea already made so I just grabbed the pitcher and added sugar. I was in the middle of pouring me a glass when Soda called out.

"There's Johnny. That's where you get your middle name Dallas. Dallas Jay. Your dad used to call Johnny that."

"Really?" I asked wondering why I had never even questioned my middle name before.

"Yeah. Oh hey! There's your mom Dallas!" I scurried over and looked at the yearbook.

"She was a soc?" I cried in shock.

"Yeah, she was Marcia's older sister. The one that always hung around Cherry and them."

"That's crazy. She's so pretty." I flipped the page and a small picture fell out of the annual. I picked it up and started at it and took me a second to realize just what I was looking at. Something inside me turned completely upside down. I starred at the picture. I saw my father and my uncles. I kept looking at it. There is no way. I said to myself repeatedly. There is no way. This is impossible. I started breathing heavily.

"Dallas?" Sodapop asked but I ran out the door as fast as I could. I didn't stop. Not until I reached the video store. I ran inside and didn't call his name out like I usually did. When I entered he turned to me and saw me holding the picture and he knew as well as I did.

"Johnny?" I asked with a crack in my voice. "You're Johnny Cade."