Chapter nine

"I'm getting no where Two-bit!" I cried out. I still, along with my uncles, had no idea why my father named me Dallas. Nor why he lied and hid so much of his past from me. There had to be a reason. There's a reason behind everything.

"Look let's take a break and get some food." He recommended. I nodded and headed to the kitchen. We had been searching through my dad's old stuff. He didn't have hardly anything still here and we couldn't find anything associated with the gang.

"You made chocolate cake?" He asked.

"Yeah. Ponyboy told me how much y'all liked it in his story a couple weeks ago."

"Man I love cake!" Two-bit hadn't really grown up much I realized. He still seemed like the same wise-cracking fool he was 18 years ago.

"Two-bit, why don't you tell me about the Socs some. You ever friends with any of them?"

"No, but your uncle Ponyboy liked one of em'. Her name was Cherry-"

"Valance." I interrupted. "Yeah I remember from the story."

"Yeah. She's real pretty and all. Must have been off her rocker though."

"Why?"

"Cause she had a thing for Dallas Winston. Any girl that successful and beautiful that loved Dally Winston had to be insane as hell." And that's when it hit me. I was trying to figure out my father's mystery. But my father wasn't the mystery to be solved at all, it was Dallas. Dally Winston was the puzzle I had to put together.

"Two-bit I have to go." I said grabbing the keys to Sodas truck and slipping in my hoodie.

"Why?" He asked confused as to why everything had just changed after his unimportant answer.

"Because there's someone I need to see." I grabbed my blue hoodie and was out the door.

I drove across the city of Tulsa wondering if I was really sane or not. There was no telling if this was even going to work. There were so many flaws in my plan but I didn't care I had to try. I had to.

When I arrived at my destination I took a deep breath and walked up the stairs to the door. The house was similar to mine back home in Texas. Or at least what used to be my home. I knocked gently three times and waited. When a man with brown curly locks opened the door I stepped back slightly.

"Can I help you?" He asked.

"Yes I was looking for someone." I said quietly.

"And who would that be?" He questioned.

"Cherry Valance." I began to gain a little more confidence in myself. "I'm looking for Sherry Valance sir."