Chapter three

I was walking down the street, trying to imagine what this place would have been like 18 years ago. I had just turned 18 two months ago. I was about to move out when the diagnosed my dad with cancer. It didn't take long for everything to fall apart shortly after that.

"Excuse me," I got the lady behind the counter of the small food store's attention. "What used to be here? Before this food market I mean."

"Well back in the early and mid 60s this place was a DX. You know, an old gas station? It closed in '67 and we opened this here food market a couple years later." She informed while I took small glances trying to picture the DX. This is where Sodapop and Steve must have worked.

"Thank you ma'am." I said exiting the store. I walked around back and looked around. Gently running my hand across the wall.

"Pretty cool ain't it?" I heard a rough accented filled voice. I turned and found a young teenage boy. He had dark hair and a dangerous smirk.

"Yeah." I responded nervously and turned back to the wall. It had spray paint from where hoods would leave their mark. There was similar graffiti in Texas. "Do you know anything about the-"

I turned and the boy was gone. I looked back and forth but didn't see him. He must have walked back down the street. It curved off to the left so if he had, I wouldn't be able to see him now. I walked the opposite direction of the mystery boy and continued until something stopped me.

I found a nice park with tall oak trees surrounding it. Sheldon Park I read to myself. Sheldon. I thought. Bob Sheldon. This must be the park he was killed in. They community must have added onto it and dedicated it to the young soc. I wondered how far the lot was from here, I thought back to Ponyboys story. It has to be in between here and the house.

I traveled back toward the house, but never found a lot. There was nothing in between the house and park except a movie store. I stared at the movie store and noticed that it wasn't as old as most things in this town. That it was fairly new, and that's when it clicked. This was the lot. It just wasn't vacant anymore. It had been used as a parking lot for a movie store.

I entered the movie store. "Hi, how are you?" I asked the teenage boy behind the counter.

"I'm alright miss, you?" He asked in return.

"Good. I'm just looking around, that's all." I said taking glances at the movies. There weren't many. It was a fairly small store.

"What do you recommend?" I asked making small talk. He was fairly attractive. Dark skin and dark hair. He appeared to be younger than me however. He seemed shy, though I don't see why you'd work at a movie store if you didn't like to talk to people. A library maybe would be more appropriate.

"This is my favorite." He said handing me a copy of Gone With the Wind.

I smiled and looked at the back of the movie. "I'll rent this one. When do I need to take it back?" I asked kindly.

"Whenever you want. I trust you, Dallas." He responded catching me off guard. I looked at him for a small second.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?"

"No. But I know you. I'll see you soon." He said and with that I nodded slightly and left the store with a bit of a fright. How did he know my name?