19. My Ultimate Support

"Nandini why don't you listen to me? You should take rest. You've been puking since yesterday evening and your eyes look tired.", Manik again repeated the same sentence ,which he had been saying since morning.

"But Manik there's a lot of work to be completed. How will you manage alone?"

"Nandini no more arguments. I said get on the bed now. And I'm calling the doctor as well." , the finality in his tone was enough to convey his decision.

"Manik trust me I'm fine. I don't need a doc..." Nandini still made a feeble try but before she could complete her sentence she had to rush to the washroom. Manik stood behind her and slowly patted her back with a concerned look on his face, as she threw up once again. Once she finished cleaning herself she tried to agrue with him, but his stern gaze made her shut her mouth. As soon as she got under the blankets, he dialled the doctor's number.

"Mommy mommy...where are you??" Pari entered the room in a singing voice.

"I'm here baby." Nandini replied in a hoarse voice. Pari climbed the bed and sat next to her.

"Mommy are you not well?"

"I'm absolutely fine baby but your daddy is stressing out." She said making faces at Manik.

"Pari baby your mommy is not well. Ask her if she wants me to count how many times she has vomitted." Manik said in a stern voice which made Nandini pout. For a moment Manik lost his senses. Her bottom lip sticking out made him want to kiss her senselessly.

He sat beside her and whispered in her ear. "Don't act in this way. It makes me want to kiss you. And I'm sure you wouldn't want Pari witnessing her parents smooching each other."
Her eyes widened at this. Her cheeks heated up and blood gushed up to them. She avoided Manik's gaze whereas he smirked at her.

"Mommy why are your cheeks red?" Pari asked.

"Uhh, because mommy is ill." Nandini mumbled.

"Manik, the doctor has arrived." Nayonika said entering the room followed by a lady doctor. Manik stood up and placed a chair beside the bed for the doctor to sit on. Once the doctor sat, Manik started speaking.

"Doctor, Nandini has been puking since yesterday evening and she's a bit weak as well."

Once Manik finished speaking, she examined Nandini. "Nandini do you have a headache?" The doctor asked.

"Yeah slightly."

"Did you miss your cycle?" She asked in a low voice enough audible for Nandini. Nandini just nodded a yes.

After completely examining Nandini, she said "Congratulations Mrs.Malhotra you are pregnant."

Shock covered Manik and Nandini's faces as soon as those words escaped the doctor's mouth. Whereas Nayonika was extremely happy about it. Dadi bua was neither shocked nor happy; she was confused.

"Do...Doctor are you sure?" Nandini asked tensed.

"Of course."

"Congratulations Manik and Nandini. You guys have no idea how much happy I am." Nayonika exclaimed literally clapping her hands like a kid who got his favourite candy.

Both Nandini and Manik looked at eachother with shock filled eyes. Once the doctor left Dadi bua spoke.

"Kya baat hai Manik, aap khush nhi hai? Nandini aap bhi bahut pareshan kag rahi hai. Kuch baat hai kya?" She asked in the most polite tone ever.

"Manik, Nandini are you fine?" His dad asked who entered the room to congratulate them.

"This cannot be possible." Manik said.

"What cannot be possible Manik?" Nayonika asked.

"I cannot be pregnant. It's not possible." Nandini whispered .

"But Nandini why are you saying this? The doctor clearly stated that she's sure about you being pregnant." Nayonika asked clearly confused by their  behaviour.

"Mom Nandini and I haven't shared any such moment. We did not get physical with each other then how can Nandini be pregnant?" He yelled due to frustration and confusion.

"Yeh kya keh rahe hai aap Manik? Aapke aur Nandini ki shaadi ko 3 mahine hone wale hai aur aap dono ke beech abhi tak kuch nahi huya?" Dadi bua's eyes landed on Nandini who avoided everyone's eyes. She surely didn't wanted anyone to know about their relationship but she also understood as to why Manik said that.

Nayonika noticed Pari glancing at everyone with confused expression. "Pari go out and play dear." Pari being an obidient child did what was said to her.

"If nothing has happened between you two then how can Nandini be pregnant?" Nayonika questioned out loud .

"Kahin yeh bacha kisi aur ka toh nahi." As soon as these words escaped the old lady's mouth all the heads turned towards her with anger for stating such a thing.

"Dadi bua aap aisa soch bhi kaise sakti hai?" Manik asked in disgust.

"Manik beta aap hi sochiye vo doctor jhoot kyu bolegi? Agar usne kaha hai Nandini pregnant hai toh Nandini pregnant hogi hi na. Aur agar yeh bacha aapka nahi hai toh kisi aur ka toh hoga hi."

"Enough dadi bua. Bas bohot hogaya, now I wont tolerate any  such accusations against My Wife,get this thing straight in your mind . Nobody...and I mean it nobody has right to disrepect My Wife!! " Manik yelled at her.

Everyone was taken aback. No matter what, Manik never yelled at Dadi bua. But when this lady accused Nandini, he couldn't hold any longer. Nandini had a small smile on her lips when he defended her.

"Manik I think you should get Nandini checked up by someother doctor."

"I guess you're right dad."

"I think Nandini should rest now. You guys can go to the hospital in the evening." Nayonika said. Soon everyone left, leaving Manik and Nandini alone.

"You rest for a while, I'll take an appointment with Mrs.Gupta, one of the top gynecologist in the city." Saying this Manik turned to leave but Nandini caught his wrist.

"Thank you." She said.

"You don't need to thank me Nandini. You are very special to me and I know you can never do such a thing," Nandini smiled at him. He responded to it by giving her a warm smile and left not before pecking her forhead.

Thank You Manik, for coming in my life like a blessing, for trusting me without any fear, caring for me without any demand, for being my greatest support, and for accepting me as I am. You are the best thing happend to me. Now I'm sure that what I feel for you is nothing else but love. I love you Manik, I do. I never thought I'll be able to love someone else but you made me love you. I guess the way you are behaving, maybe you feel the same for me as well. I'm not sure if you love me or not. But one thing that I am sure is that I know I love you and will always do no matter what happens.

Thinking this she fell asleep.

Nandini was the girl, who is filled with many problems in her life, after loosing Karan, she still managed everything alone & never showed others that she got weak & failed, instead she became strong & faced the problems, still there are problems & difficulties in her life which are haunting her day & night, still she hide it & wear a smile everyday. But even she is a normal girl,who needs care, love, protection, support & most important a companion with whom she can freely share what she feels, her worries, her problems & a person in whose arms she can crush whenever she wants. And she got her everything in Manik, her ultimate solace.

******
What do you think of Manik?

How was the update?

[A request do checkout my new one shot story, YOU ARE ONLY MINE.]