8.Condition Applied!

After all the kids left.

"Nandini yeh Karan kaun hai and aapka kya sambandh (relation) hai uske saath?" Dadi bua asked fiercely.

"Vo...vo...mere pehle husband the. Unki death ek saal pehle huyi thi." Nandini spoke nervously. She felt weak in her nerves. This was a big blow for dadi bua. Upon knowing that Nandini was a widow her anger crossed all the bounds.

"Kab huya tha yeh?" She asked flaring her nostrils.

"Humari shaadi ke eight months baad." This was it. The old lady turned towards Nayonika and yelled "Aapka dimag kharab tha kya jo ek vidwa (widow) ke saath mere Manik ka rishta jod diya. Iss ki kundli dekhi thi ki ni?"

Nayonika nodded a no regarding the kundli thing. "Kya! Ab toh lagta hai ki iske vajah se hi iske pehle pati ki maut huyi hogi. Isne zaroor koi paap kiya hoga pichle janam mein." This was enough to make Nandini weak. Tears started streaming down her cheeks.

These taunts weren't new for her. After Karan's death few of his relatives and other people including his mother termed her the reason behind Karan's death. They taunted her to every extent making her feel miserable. After few months everything was fine. But now hearing these words again made her feel worse.

Manik, who was standing next to her saw the tears flowing. In an instant he wrapped his arm around her and pulled her close trying to comfort her. Nandini gripped his shirt and dug her face in his chest as the tears continued to pour down.

"Bua dadi please stop. Aaj kal ke zamane mein aisa kuch nahi hota. Aapko problem os baat se hai na ki mein Nandini ka first husband nahi hu. Agar aisa hai toh mein aapko yeh yaad dila du ki meri bhi pehle shaadi huyi thi and Nandini meri first wife nahi hai. Aapko Nandini ko thanks bolna chahiye ki usne mujhe Pari ke saath accept kiya. Nahi toh kaunsi ladki ek 5 years ki bachi ko mom banna pasand karti." Manik defended Nandini. Nandini looked up and blinked her eyes expressing his gratitude.

"Wo sab hume nahi pata. Agar iski vajah se aap ko kuch huya na toh mujhse bura koi nahi hoga." Saying this dadi bua left.

Composing herself, Nandini went to the kitchen and grabbing two trays, she proceeded towards Pari's room plastering a smile on her face.

"Hello kids, see what I brought." She said trying to sound cheerful.

"Wow pasta and milkshake." Both Pari and Sanjana exclaimed with joy.

"Chachi you are the best." Sanjana said kissing her cheek. Pari didn't like wee bit of it.

Though she had a plate full of pasta in her hand but not even a bit of it had gone into her mouth. She didn't like the way Sanjana was sticking onto her mother. Nandini noticed a change in Pari's behaviour.

"Honey, what's wrong?" Nandini asked her.

"Am I your daughter?" Pari asked in return surprising her.

"Of course you are. What made you think that?"

"Then why are you giving all your attention to Sanjana?"

"Aww, my baby is upset for that?"

"Yes, and I'm angry."

"Are you still angry?" She asked holding her ears whispering a sorry.

"Yes."

"Okay, I see." Nandini put the plate aside and started tickling her. "Mo...mommy...st..stop...ple...please" Pari said in between her laughter.

"I will but only if you forgive me."

"I'm not angry anymore. Now please stop."

"That's like my good girl.  You girls carry on, I'll be back." Saying this Nandini left. Manik who was observing all this followed her.