The Cure

Chapter 27: The Cure

"Er, Professor Flitwick?" Daisy whispered. She half hoped that her charms teacher wouldn't be able to hear her and she could just back out of what she had planned to say.

"Did you need something Miss Dursley?" Flitwick had evidently heard Daisy's whispered call. Class had already ended, and older students were hurrying out towards their next destination.

Daisy herself hadn't had Charms that day, but it hadn't taken her long to walk from her Wizard Culture and History classroom to this one, even though she had been forced to find an escort due to the stricter school rules. Harry had been waiting outside her classroom, just to say hello, apparently. Daisy guessed that he had wanted to make sure she was okay, especially so that he would be able to assure her parents of the fact if they got news about what was going on at Hogwarts.

"All students are to go out to the Quidditch pitch after this class. You'll want to take your things with you," the Flitwick reminded her.

"Yes sir," Daisy said. "But I was wondering if I could tell you - I mean ask you - something."

Flitwick raised an eyebrow. "Would this be something Charms related, or is it about something else?"

The way Professor Flitwick said something else helped Daisy catch up to his thoughts. He thought that she might know something about the whereabouts of Jonas, Eliza, and Albus. The three still hadn't been found, and it was now not an unusual sight to see an auror or two pass by on the way to your class.

"No, it's just Charms related. I, ah, have a sort of, not problem exactly, but..."

"I definitely don't think whatever it is would be a problem, Dursley. You have a natural talent for this subject. However, we must either continue this conversation as we walk, or leave it for another time."

Daisy had been so focused on herself she hadn't noticed that most of the other students had gone. It suddenly hit her that it was the first time she had been anywhere in the castle besides a bathroom or common room without one of her friends at her side. Of course, she wasn't alone, she was with a teacher, but the thought still somehow made her feel proud of herself for being more independent.

"Sorry, we can walk," she said.

"So if this thing isn't a problem, and it's related to Charms, what is it?"

"I started noticing some things about my magic a while ago, so I decide to test a few things on my own," Daisy started. Somehow talking felt a little bit easier now that it was as if they were taking a stroll through the castle. "And so, I tried to do some of the charms without a wand, and it worked."

Flitwick's voce came out as a higher squeak than usual, and he almost tipped over a slight rift in the flooring. "It worked? Reliably?"

"Pretty reliably. It isn't as good as what I can do with my wand, but -"

"But this is amazing! I've only had the privilege to meet someone gifted with a natural talent for wandless magic twice! One of them was my own Charms teacher, back in the day, and the other was of course Albus Dumbledore*."

"So I'm not too terribly odd then, am I?"

Professor Flitwick chuckled. "It is odd - but it's a good kind of strange, if you really can do as you say. Wizards in Europe were the first to begin using wands. Before that, not as many people were able to realize there gifts in magic, as not as many wizards have the capability and the patience to learn to focus their magic without something like a wand or a broomstick to work through. However, there are still cultures that don't use wands as much as we do."