Chapter Thirty Nine: Yours and Mine

Out on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, a horse and carriage is sitting with the driver waiting for something. It's a medical transport carriage and two young nurses step out of the back of the carriage and stand on each side of the carriage's back entrance, waiting. Their focus quickly shifts to the nearby forest where they hear a group of people coming. As the group emerges, they see it's General Najenda and the remaining Night Raid members, carrying a comatose Mine on a stretcher, Susanoo and Najenda holding the bars in the front while Tatsumi and Minazuki hold the bars in the back. As they approach the carriage, the two nurses salute while both saying, "General Najenda, mam! We're prepared to transport your comrade as soon as you need us to!" As they lay Mine's stretcher down on the ground, Najenda notices the concern on her subordinates' faces. She turns to the nurses and says, "Could we get a moment, please?" The nurses simply nod before stepping out of the way and putting their hands behind their back. Akame and Tatsumi kneel down on each side of Mine and Akame says, "Mine... After this is all over, we'll all come to see you again, okay?" Mine can't respond due to her state, but in her eyes, they can see she is somewhere in there listening. Tatsumi softly takes Mine's little hands into his before saying, "Mine, when the time comes, please... marry me. I love you." As he says this, Akame stands up with a slight grin on her face, impressed with Tatsumi's boldness. Leone whistles at Tatsumi as Chelsea and Sheele seem to be happy for them. Minazuki simply takes off his mask to reveal a saddened look on his face and as Najenda walks over to Lubbock's side, Lubbock mutters under his breath, "That bastard, giving up his harem for that flatty." After saying this, he gets punched in both sides of his face by Leone and Najenda. "Lubbock, you shouldn't insult a lady like that. Especially in a situation like this.", Najenda explains to him as she grabs his cheek and pulls his face closer to her own. Tatsumi gently places Mine's arms to her sides and covers her up with her pink blanket before standing up. As he takes a couple steps back, Najenda nods to the nurses, one uses her Imperial Arm: a gauntlet on her right arm that allows her to levitate objects, as the other helps guide the stretcher into the carriage. She then pokes her head out as the other nurse joins her in the carrage, and says to Night Raid, "Don't worry, we'll look over her until she wakes up. She's in good hands." Najenda smiles as she continues to pinch Lubbocks cheeks and says to the nurses, "You have my thanks." As the carriage starts to ride off into the distance, the remaining Night Raid members stand there just watching it leave. Once they're beyond even Akame's master assassin sight, she says, "They're gone..." "Yeah.", Tatsumi coldly replies as a gust of wind comes by, causing the tail of his new white overcoat to blow with it. Leone sighs before rubbing the back of her neck and saying, "You've really grown into quite the man, Tatsumi. But with the mood like this, I can't really poke fun at you, can I?" She feels someone place a hand on her shoulder to see it's Minazuki's. "I believe you still have me, partner.", he says to her, causing her face to light up with joy and a smile. She quickly hugs him in her warm arms, burying his face in her breasts as she happily says, "How could I forget my wonderful boyfriend! The big fight's gettin' close, how about we all get drunk as hell tonight!!!" Minazuki hugs her back and manages to lift his face out of Leone's booby trap long enough to say, "Sure.", before she shoves his head back inside in her excitement. Tatsumi, however, seems to be lost in thought as he continues to look to where Mine was a few minutes ago. He's pulled back into reality when Najenda asks him, "Tatsumi, how's your body holding up?" He glances down at his right hand and says, "No problems, Boss. On the contrary, it's like there's power welling up from inside my body." This news causes Najenda a bit of concern as she says, "Then it's just as that doctor said." He clenches his hand into a fist and says, "I'm fine. If I can use Incursio four more times, that should be more than enough. For the final standoff, that will be plenty!!" Najenda crosses her arms and sadly says, "I'm sorry. I'd like to be able to tell you to go with Mine and stay by her side, but we don't know how we're going to handle Great General Hitzugaea and we'll need every able soldier we can get. So please..." Before she can finish her sentence, he turns to her and replies with, "I'll do it. Either way, we'll win for sure, right?" He turns his back to Najenda again and continues, saying, "If you think about this situation rationally, no matter how you look at it, we have such a great advantage we can't fail. But the Prime Minister probably has an ace up his sleeve and when you add in Shol awakening and taking over Hitzugaea's body. If we give them the slightest bit of breathing room, they'll turn the tables on us and won't hesitate to crush us. So we've got to be careful... We can't allow ourselves any margin of error on this." "Yeah, that's why we need to gather our resources and make sure we're fully prepared. As soon as all the rebel forces all unite into one great force, they'll launch a simulations assault on the Capital. After taking down Imperial Army, all they need to do is capture Prime Minister Honest. Minazuki, Esdeath, and Budo should have enough time to build a strategy to defeat Shol in the meantime.", Najenda explains. As Night Raid starts heading back to their home base, Najenda and Tatsumi continue their conversation as they walk together. "Do you believe they can do it? Defeat Shol I mean...", Tatsumi asks her as he turns his head to glance at her. She simply smiles and says, "Of course. Minazuki technically had his power longer than Hitzugaea did. Not to mention the fact that he has both Esdeath and Budo to help him." "And there's no convincing Shol? Esdeath and Budo both agreed to join us after we helped show th-", he begins to say before she cuts him off by sternly saying, "No, that's impossible at this point." He looks to her in confusion and she says, "According to Minazuki, Hitzugaea and Shol were likely trying to steal the untapped power of the Gods right before they awoke. Who knows what he's planning on doing with such unimaginable power." "Then there's truly no other way then... I'll do my best. Maybe, if I train hard enough, I'll be of some use in that final battle. For Mine's sake, I'll put all my strength into this final battle.", he replies with a stern, confident look on his face. This causes Najenda to smile at his resolve, but before she can say anything, Chelsea shouts back at them, since they're starting to fall behind as the group is moving much faster than them, "You better not be putting the moves on the Boss, Tatsumi! Lubbock's getting all nervous and it's getting annoying!" Najenda chuckles after hearing this before saying, "We should hurry. We don't want to keep Leone from her booze."