Chapter 2: Silly Professions

I climbed off of the  private plane my parents owned. The island was absolutely beautiful. The ocean waves crashed against each other, causing small sprinkles of water to hit you if you got too close. I smiled and grabbed the camera that was strapped around my neck, taking a picture.

The light reflecting off of the waves was beautiful as it looked just like it did in those cheesy movies.

I heard voices behind me as I turned to see Mom, Dad, and Melissa. "She's back at it again. Off in her own world with her camera," Melissa laughed. I felt my cheeks heat up as I ran towards them, setting my camera on on my bag.

I pulled Melissa into a tight hug, causing her to hug back. I hadn't gotten to see her since I first got home and I had hardly seen my parents much either. Although it was usually a rare occasion I saw them anyways, even if I was under their roof.

I noticed they all had their ears out and visible. I smiled and ruffled Melissa's ears. She pouted, "Hey! That's no fair! You don't have any ears to ruffle!" She pointed out.

I laughed as she was allowing her more fun side to come out. Melissa had two sides, business and fun. You were always more likely to see her business side than anything else.

"That's the point! You can't get me back!" I teased.

Melissa laughed evilly, "I wouldn't be too sure about that." She sprinted towards me and I took off running, but being much faster and stronger than me she caught me and picked my up. She started running towards the splashing waves and dropped me when the water was almost at her waist.

I quickly sat up, wiping the water and hair from my face. I looked up at Melissa who was smirking at me. I stood up and wrung my hair out along with my skirt.

Melissa grinned at me. "By the way, you look great," She complimented, looking me up and down. I smiled at her. "Thanks, you look great too, sis," I told her. She smiled and thanked me as well.

We made our ways to the shore as Melissa led me to the house we'd be staying in until the end of the summer. "So when is Aaron coming in?" I asked.

"He should be here for a nice dinner. He'll get to catch up with all of his friends and stuff beforehand. Mom and Dad thought it'd be a good idea to have dinner where we could all catch up. Especially since you haven't seen him in about two years," She pointed out, nudging me.

I shook my head. "I'm sure he missed Aphmau way more than he did me. Even if I was gone longer," I pointed out. Melissa shrugged. "That doesn't mean he didn't miss you."

I was always a second best. It didn't bother me, I was fine with it. As long as I made people happy, I didn't care.

I dragged my things upstairs, Melissa following behind me. I put by bag down and got a towel, drying out my hair.

I looked out the window. "It's almost sundown," I pointed out.

Melissa smiled at me. "That means Aaron should be here soon," She squealed with excitement. "I can't wait to see him and Aphmau together," She squealed.

I laughed, thinking a bit. "Are they really as cute as you say they are or are you just a prideful sister?" I asked. I hadn't seen them together as a couple quite yet. I had seen them for a few hours, but they were never very couple-like during the time I was with them.

Melissa nodded furiously, causing me to laugh.

We talked for a bit longer before we hear a door close downstairs. Melissa's ears perked as she ran for the door. "Come on!" She called, "They're here!"

I looked down at my soaking wet clothes. "You go on. I'm gonna change before hugging him," I laughed. Melissa nodded and ran out, shutting the door behind her.

I quickly changed into a nice skirt that went just above my ankles with a large slit down the side. that stopped halfway up my thigh. I pulled on a crop-top that barely showed a bit of my stomach.

After getting ready and running a brush through my still damp hair, I descended the stairs. I saw Aaron and ran, pouncing on his back. Aaron laughed and spun around until I released him.

Aaron turned to me and pulled me into a tight hug. I looked at him and smiled at his black and red ears. "Awe, you finally got your ears!" I commented.

Aaron smiled, "And I see you still don't have anything," He said, ruffling up my hair. I pouted and shook my head at him. That always bothered me deep down, but I ignored it. I looked over to see Aphmau behind him.

"Hi, Aph. I greeted. She smiled and waved at me. Melissa grinned at us all and headed to the door. "Let's go! Mom and Dad are gonna meet us at the restaurant," She explained.

We all made our way to this big fancy restaurant that our parents were paying for us to eat at. I followed Melissa to the restaurant, Aphmau and Aaron following behind us.

When we finally made it, we told them our names and they allowed us inside, escorting us to our table. I sat in a seat next to Mom and Dad and glanced at the menu.

The waitress came and took our drink orders before leaving. Mom was the first to speak up, "I hope you guys enjoy your place. We assumed it would be suitable for you two along with everyone else," She told Aaron and Aphmau.

Aaron smiled and nodded. "Thanks you guys. I really appreciate this," He said, grabbing Aphmau's hand.

There was more silence before I asked the question that had been burning a hole in my mind since I found out Aaron was being taken away from everyone. "So... What happened in the first place?" I asked. Every time I asked about what happened up in the mountain I only got a grunt in response or growls sounded across the room, like they're doing now.

I saw a flicker in Aaron's eyes and quickly looked away, knowing the drill. I heard Dad suck in a breath as he seemed to be restraining himself. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Aphmau grab Aaron's hand on the table.

Mom tapped my shoulder, telling me that I was allowed to look up. This is what happened every time. If Aaron's eyes ever turned with me in the room, I was to look away until someone told me it was safe.

I looked at Aaron with apologetic eyes. "You don't have to explain it if you don't want to, Aaron. I was just curious," I told him. Aaron nodded and looked at me with a small smile. "I'll tell you, Y/N. But not now. It isn't the best time to do it," He laughed. I nodded and smiled back at him.

I looked down at my menu, humming along to the soft music that was playing over the speakers. I saw a smile creep up Aaron's face. "You any closer to turn that singing into a career, yet?" He asked, jokingly. Him and Melissa would joke around about my singing all the time when we were young.

Dad laughed from beside me. "Of course not. The music industry is too risky, right Y/N?" Dad offered, looking over at me. To be quite honest I never gave up on that dream. It was one of those lights that never quite flickered out.

I decided to give him the response he wanted instead of the response I had. "Yes sir. Music is full of chaos and daily risks. Photography is a much batter and safer profession, father." I gripped my menu, realizing my mistake. I had accidentally gone into my business mode which consisted of "father," "mother," and larger words.

Dad didn't seem to pay mind to it as I relaxed a bit. I looked over at Aaron who was giving me a doubtful look, followed by a small smile.

That was a close one.